Module B: speech question (1 Viewer)

namburger

Noob Member
HSC
You will give a 5 minute speech considering the following statement:

"In deciding whether a text has value, we must accept or reject the views of others."

Discuss how your set text can be valued through an examination of its structure, content and language.
Any ideas on how i should answer this question?

p.s Im doing gwen harwood.

Raphi.Farhan

KingThiefBakura
HSC
Unfortunately Nam,

Im as clueless as you are

How are you planning to incorporate your question with text??

stillwaters

HSC
the 'examination of its structure, content and language' is the textual evidence you're going to give to back your points up. i.e. the metaphor harwood uses here... blah blah blah suggests the sense of lonliness arising from idunno lack of connection to nature=. (im actually doing speeches for this module)

the point of this module is to:
  • understand the actual content of the text like the themes and what harwoods actually trying to say
  • evualate the reception of this text in different contexts (the dot points sound more better on the actual syllabus :p)
but you have to put forward whether you think harwood has value, why you think so <or dont think so> (i.e. talks about themes of i dunno love and desire for freedom (insert what her poems actually talk about) which are universal or something) and get the 'views' of others. they could be critics (both those who love her and those who really really hate her and would like to see her poetry burn), say whether you agree or disagree that particular critics viewpoint,or even just that harwoods poems would be appreciated in a specific context i.e. her original context or even 1980s american society (im sorry, im just chucking in examples from stuff im doing in module b with Brave new world and blade runner) because of stuff that :) )

i hope the above chunk helps somewhat... if theres anything that doesnt make anysense just tell me. ^^

Felix Jones

HSC
first of all read the question really slowly to digest it.....
Discus....means give points for and against....how....means u should incorporate the techniques used by gwen harwood.....be valued through an examination of its structure, content and language...this practically sets the sturucture of ur answer....talk about structure of the poems (rhyming scheme, length of sentences etc), then content ( what its saying, how its saying that i.e. language techniques employed) finally the language, is it formal, informal, informative, emotive etc.

but one thing u have to do is link it back to the question as often as u can, don't ever write a single sentence that does nothing to sway the teacher and the students to share you idea and point of view in the speech.

also the purpose of ur speech here is to persuade...(very important for what language to use, and what points to include)...because ur persuading i would also use a lot of high modality words as well e.g. instead of "gwen harwood has used emotive language to convey the child's belief in his plan", use "gwen harwoods extensive usage of emotive language cleraly demonstrates the child's belief in his plan"..the second sentence basically tells u what to believe rather than merely provoking the thought.

anyways good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)