medicine [mbbs] (1 Viewer)

HSC
hey ppl, im jus wonderin who is/wants to do medicine, coz there are like, 2 unis that offer it here (not interstate) i.e unsw and uws, i wanna do medicine but i will never go uws (even if i make it....i think...ok i MAYBE!!! ill go), i wanna go unsw....but average uai for the ppl who get in is ~99.......n that’s kind of hard to get, i was thinkin about goin usyd and doing advanced science and then doing medicine as they onli offer it postgrad but that will take 7 years, ahh well, imma do one of those 3 for sure, is n e one else in the same situation?

-pari-

HSC
N/A
well from the sounds of it you've made you're mind up for unsw.

in that case, just work towards it ;)

but i strongly advise you have a few more back ups......

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Newcastle offers Med direct from school as well, doesn't it?

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Postgrad is just as difficult to enter as undergrad med.

You're probably best just to apply to a range of undergrad med courses and hope to God you get an offer for one. EVEN IF IT'S UWS.

Med is unlike other degrees such as law where if you scored uai 90+ and maintained a high credit average you can transfer into postgrad law at USYD (arguably most prestigious in Australia).

Postgrad med you're looking at HD average and/or murdering GAMSAT, according to many acquaintances who have actually achieved this.

F*cking rid yourself of elitism.

HSC
I get the feeling that anyone who wants medicine that badly will go anywhere thats offered to them (within reason- maybe not internationally). How badly do you want medicine if you're unwilling to go to UWS?

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
I would actually love to go to UWS. Getting into medicine means so much to me, and i hope and pray that i get in. Though UNSW is an awesome uni to do medicine, its far too difficult to get in.

Tiffanys

Executed member
HSC
i think it was 92 last yr for greater western sydney residents and 93 this yr. 94 for all? btw why cant you go to uncle or the gong?

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
xclusv2bhung said:
uws is normally 95 , but 93 for those living in south western sydney i think.
oh whoops .. someone got it before me hahas. =P

aussiechica7

HSC
med degrees r not like other degrees. law degrees might vary widely in their reputation but in medicine a degree is a degree. that's because the degrees r regulated for quality-control (they have to be, for the public's sake). so really, no matter how much u look down on uws, their med degree is just as good as any other :).

have a look at www.medstudentsonline.com for info on undergrad med, particularly the "getting into medicine" forum. there r a few pinned threads there which would b very helpful for u.

good luck

Last edited:

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
Yeah I'm applying at all uni's across australia. If i get into one of them, im going in. If not then I will do biomedical science, medical science, or advanced science, or physiotherapy, or etc...

zdzislaw

Jack, much
HSC
Reach for the heavens bro...coz even if you miss, you'll land among the stars...
=]
Omg...how corny ^_^

HSC
sanjeevprasad99 said:
hey ppl, im jus wonderin who is/wants to do medicine, coz there are like, 2 unis that offer it here (not interstate) i.e unsw and uws,
uni of newcastle offer undergrad medicine too, although i can't remember if they offer mbbs, as in i think they offer medicine but not the surgery part. i can't remember exactly though.

babikakez said:
I get the feeling that anyone who wants medicine that badly will go anywhere thats offered to them (within reason- maybe not internationally). How badly do you want medicine if you're unwilling to go to UWS?
yeah exactly right. i know of two people who missed out on mbbs @ unsw, one got a late offer to uws and the other is at newcastle and are happy there because they got in and all.

HSC
lol, i badly wanna do med, i jus came back home from medentry, n they guy was like "nva do medical science, or adv science"....i was gunna do that n then do postgrad med, but if i gont get into n e uni [all across australia] then i will do phaymacy.....n if i still feel like it after 4 years....do med...thats what my tutour said, o well, ill see what happens, hopfulli i get into any uni

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
sanjeevprasad99 said:
lol, i badly wanna do med, i jus came back home from medentry, n they guy was like "nva do medical science, or adv science"....i was gunna do that n then do postgrad med, but if i gont get into n e uni [all across australia] then i will do phaymacy.....n if i still feel like it after 4 years....do med...thats what my tutour said, o well, ill see what happens, hopfulli i get into any uni
Holy shit, i was just there at MedEntry too. And i think i remember seeing your name tag as "Sanjeev" but i didn't think it would be you. And just to show you that i was there remember that guy that used the excuse of that "accident" as his motivation to become a doctor? Well, my name tag obviously, and i vaguely remember you had a goatee? Am i right, i don't really have a good memory but i am sure i saw you.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
USyd also offers MBBS at an undergraduate level and it is combined with either Advanced Science or Medical Science. But it only has 10 vacancies for it...so it's extremely competitive...that's why not many people apply for or have heard of the one in USyd. :D

Most people that I know of who didn't make it into MBBS in the main round, either made it into it in the Late Round, or did Pharmacy or Medical Science and hope to transfer in the following year.

Just because you get a UAI of 99+ doesn't guarantee you into doing MBBS. I know someone who got 99.50 UAI just last year, but still didn't make it into Medicine (I suspect that she didn't show much of a social personality when it came to the interview), whereas many others who got like 97-98 UAI got accepted, for UNSW that is. Remember that UAI is not the sole determinant of whether you will be accepted or not. They also consider your UMAT score and your interview (where you basically have to express your extreme passion for medicine :D).

I can see where you're coming from about the reluctance of going into UWS, because it doesn't have as much of an international reputation as UNSW or USyd, but if you really really want to do MBBS and nothing else at undergraduate level, then be prepared to accept the possibility that you may be studying the course UWS.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
sanjeevprasad99 said:
I wanna go unsw....but average uai for the ppl who get in is ~99.......n that’s kind of hard to get, i was thinkin about goin usyd and doing advanced science and then doing medicine as they onli offer it postgrad but that will take 7 years, ahh well, imma do one of those 3 for sure, is n e one else in the same situation?
Just to improve your life that much more: I got over 99 and I was below both the average and median UAI for entry into UNSW med (If memory serves I think that they are both around 99.5 or so?). The key to getting in is scoring the trifecta - perform solidly in terms of UAI, UMAT and interview. Don't worry too much about the 7 year bachelor + grad med path --> UNSW med is 6 years anyway. One year isn't much difference in the scheme of things (I've ended up with a 7 year degree anyway!). Best of luck with it.

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
HAHA i also went medentry today!....i was the guy that asked that question about undergrad med science and science (adv) and what job you can get...apparently none worthwhile -___-"

HSC
Shrikar said:
Holy shit, i was just there at MedEntry too. And i think i remember seeing your name tag as "Sanjeev" but i didn't think it would be you. And just to show you that i was there remember that guy that used the excuse of that "accident" as his motivation to become a doctor? Well, my name tag obviously, and i vaguely remember you had a goatee? Am i right, i don't really have a good memory but i am sure i saw you.
lol no i dont hav a goatee...., umm, that guy who used that accident as his motivation went to my school [and his dad realli is a doctor, but it was funni when he said it n everyone started laughin]...n i stuffed that test sooooo bad, o well

ummm someone said tht 10 ppl make it to undergrad med a year, inno 3 of them who made it last year[FRIGGEN NERDS!!!!!!] one came 1st in bio, one got 99.95...n so did the other

n e way we shall see what happens, cya n goodluck for everyone who wants to do med!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)