McLake's Guide to London (1 Viewer)

malkin86

HSC
What attractions/events, if you don't see them, will you kick yourself when thinking about whenever afterwards?

How long can you go without someone mentioning Neighbours, or asking you to say "G'day" to them?

How much is it to drive to France, using the underground tunnel?

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
I got so many neighbours questions at the school i was at, we watched it every day, they are only about 3 months behind, but i have to keed sending them gossip, spoils it but they ask so i tell.
Not many really say g'day, about one in 50 will try some sort of an aussie accent.
One place you have to go is the church http://www.thechurch.co.uk hands down the best way to spend a sunday in london....note, do not wear good clothes or shoes. May contain adult content and nudity

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Courtenay said:
Once its hits like 20 degrees the girls from school were all sunbaking...at about 25 degrees beware as some cannot cope with the heat and strip off to their underwear and lie in parks...
eh? 25 degrees? they would die if they came here :p

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
yes it is true, 25 degrees is hot for them, mostly because it is so rare.
I remember when i lived in london when i was little, it was like 20 degrees and we were doing sport, and they were all melting and i was fine.

i think the hottest summer day i have in sherborne, SW england where i was living,was about 26 degrees...not a blip on my heat radar

elisabeth

HSC
Courtenay said:
yes it is true, 25 degrees is hot for them, mostly because it is so rare.
I remember when i lived in london when i was little, it was like 20 degrees and we were doing sport, and they were all melting and i was fine.

i think the hottest summer day i have in sherborne, SW england where i was living,was about 26 degrees...not a blip on my heat radar
Well, the summers have gotten heaps hotter... you know about the European heatwave a few years ago, 10,000+ old folk in France died and such... Hot days are pretty much 25 or over, but I was there last year (6th summer in London) and we got some 30+ days.

Heh, I spent most of my life here (11yrs) and I still melt when it's over 25, or over 20 and I'm exercising :(

pungpui

HSC
mclake did you live there?? if u know london well, i used to live in paddington near marble arch/edgeware road and that was a funky location...turn left to oxford st, turn right to kensington, paddington station (connection to heathrow express) but lots of bums walking around...once i saw this homeless woman with a new airport trolley...im like wtf

dave_119

Banned
HSC
ive stayed in kensington many a time, very up scale part of london, just up the road from the science and natural history muesum etc, they have some HUGE buildings in that part of town

beccabum

hung up
in the outer suburbs of the middle of nowhere
HSC
I'm going to London as part of my os travels this year. I will be staying at my cousin's house in West Ealing. Does anybody know what sort of stuff is good to do around there? eg. any good shopping spots, markets, attractions, pubs, other cool things to see and do... ?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Sorry to take so long to reply, there is a lot here:

whiterabbit said:
What's rent like? Where's a good place to live? (not shared)
Is it true that it's not hard to get a job in a pub or a bar?
I told you I can't answer accomidation questions. It is as hard to get a job as it is here, accept there are more places to apply to.

christ_ine said:
I was in London for a few days last December. Meh, it's ok. I had more fun in Oxford.
Oxford is very nice. My uncle used to work (and teach at the uni) there.

malkin86 said:
What attractions/events, if you don't see them, will you kick yourself when thinking about whenever afterwards?
Almost all the tourist traps are worth it, and you will hate yourself for not going. Off the top of my head, you MUST see:
- History & Science Museums
- Tower of London
- Tower Bridge
- London Eye
- The Thames
- Hyde Park
- Oxford St
- Grenwich
- The Docklands

Other things (though not so special)
- Bucking Place
- Big Ben
- Trafalgar Square
- Picadilly Circus

I may have left stuff off this list ...

EDIT: More (that I forgot)
- Camden (+ walk from Little Vencie)
- British Museum (how could I forget this?)

malkin86 said:
How long can you go without someone mentioning Neighbours, or asking you to say "G'day" to them?
I have said had anyone ask me to say g'day.

malkin86 said:
I have no idea, but as it is said later, a train/plane is a better option anyway.

pungpui said:
mclake did you live there?? if u know london well, i used to live in paddington near marble arch/edgeware road and that was a funky location...turn left to oxford st, turn right to kensington, paddington station (connection to heathrow express) but lots of bums walking around...once i saw this homeless woman with a new airport trolley...im like wtf
I have "lived" there in the sense that I have stayed with a reletive for over a month.

dave_119 said:
ive stayed in kensington many a time, very up scale part of london, just up the road from the science and natural history muesum etc, they have some HUGE buildings in that part of town
And so have I. Near Glouster Road Station.

beccabum said:
I'm going to London as part of my os travels this year. I will be staying at my cousin's house in West Ealing. Does anybody know what sort of stuff is good to do around there? eg. any good shopping spots, markets, attractions, pubs, other cool things to see and do... ?
West Ealing is a bit out of London (Zone 3-ish of the Tube Map). But you won't be so far from the main action that you can't get into London by tube or bus. The trains are expensive (£1.70 for single zone 1 journey) but it is well worth it.

Last edited:

elisabeth

HSC
malkin86 said:

Don't forget Camden markets!

If your accent is recognisable (which is probably will be - Aussies tend to have very nasal accents, but they might not know if you're from here or NZ), probably not long.

Just another point on France, I'm not sure of the costs but you can also cross the channel on a ferry/hovercraft thing and take your car that way. That's how my school did our excursions to France. Also, if you're going to a city in France, Paris or somewhere big, it's probably better not to bring a car because public transport is good and driving is not.

I would even say one of the best things about London is using it as a base to do lots of cheap weekends away exploring other European cities ;)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
elisabeth said:
Don't forget Camden markets!
Forgive me, I did forget them. Add to that the walk from Little Venice to Camden Lock (and hence the markets) via the canal, with a great view of London Zoo.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
The English have now become big coffee drinkers too with 3-4 major coffee chains (Starbucks, Cafe Nero and Costa Coffee. Coffe Republic is another largish chain, but ti is not as widespread as the other three)

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
i lived in london for a year in 02 so i feel i am also qualified to give my opinion on where to go and what to do.
its my suggestion for accomadation to stay on the outter inner rim (if that makes sense) youll be up for more if you stay in town, and the train trip from the outer rim is really quick so its worth ur while and money not to stay in town.

GO SEE the tower of london, the london dungeon, the imperial war museum and go north to york for the viking tours. dont botehr going to the coast to places like southend on sea, or great yarmouth... its just like one arcade after the other...
DEFINATLY travel south to penzance (dont go surfing there, its incredibly cold and the waves are shitty)
go to ireland and go surfing (yes its incredibly cold but the waves are amazing) DO go to germany and do go to berlin, archan and monshau.

For any more ideas p.m me. ill help you out as best i can

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)