Maths - 2 Unit or Extension 1?? (1 Viewer)

2 Unit or Extension 1?

• Stick with Ext 1

Votes: 13 86.7%
  • Drop to 2 Unit

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

lbft

Geek
HSC
I'm in Year 12 and I currently do:

English Advanced
Maths Ext 1
Studies of Religion I
Business Studies
Chemistry
Software Design & Development

This adds up to 12 units.

I just got a new maths teacher this year who expects us to do 1.5 hours of maths homework a night not including study. I can do the work OK, and I don't do amazingly bad at assessments, but I'm a bit sick of maths. I think it might affect my other subjects so I'm thinking about dropping down to 2 Unit. My best subjects are probably SDD and Business.

What do you guys reckon, should I stick with ext 1 or drop to 2 unit?

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
i had this problem last year. i seriously conidered dropping down to 2u (from ext 1). i wasn't too hot at ext 1 maths: most assesment/class test marks from 60-80%, but i stuck with it. i think studying ext 1 maths allowed me to more easily understand some of the 2u concepts, and gave me more techniques to use in 2u tests. but then i did just 11 units, and didn't have a teacher who wanted me to do 1.5 hours a night.

hmm... i say stick with it for a few more weeks, perhaps the rest of the term. see if things change: your teacher comes to their senses and cuts down the workload, you get used to it, or you realise maths is/isn't your thing. then do something about it -- my 2 pesos anyway

lbft

Geek
HSC
The teacher isn't going to change - I've had this teacher before.

Rahul

Dead Member
stick wid 3 u maths,

if u work hard enuff then u'll get the marks u want...if u really put in the effort and still r not getting satisfactory marks, then u should consiider dropping down to 2u.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Stay with 3U as long as you can cope, and as long as your other subjects don't suffer.

Don't think 12 U's is too many if you can handle it.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
Originally posted by McLake
Stay with 3U as long as you can cope, and as long as your other subjects don't suffer.

Don't think 12 U's is too many if you can handle it.
yeah stick with the 3U, i'm having the same problem as you are, i dont spend 1.5 hrs studying a night for maths, i just do the exercies set in class, and a few questions from the trials and past papers each night... if your coping with it then stick to it... but you gotta split up you study time equally between your subjects... there isnt such things as 'this subject is more important'

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by saladsurgery
i had this problem last year. i seriously conidered dropping down to 2u (from ext 1). i wasn't too hot at ext 1 maths: most assesment/class test marks from 60-80%
Don't think your marks really matter because the standard of the paper differs from school to school...

Saintly Devil

Originally posted by Isaac Reyes
...heaps of people get 99 uai's without any extension subjects....
Really??

I've been killing myself for not going for 4u maths and sticking with 3u (btw, i don't study 1.5hrs a night either and I came in the top 5 for both 2u and 3u in the prelim. just make sure u understand everything in class and practice a lot before the test on the harder questions).

Could you give some examples of people who haven't done any extension subjects with their subjects and uai's?

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
Originally posted by Saintly Devil

Could you give some examples of people who haven't done any extension subjects with their subjects and uai's?
a girl at my school from 2002.

maths 2u
ipt
bio
phys
chem
england advanced

uai = 91 point something

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
so i heard from the skool anyway... i spoke to her and she didnt tell me her exact UAI, but she said she got what she wanted....

Patch

I dropped 3U maths which i deeply regreted when I got my UAI.I also regreted the fact that I didnt do adv. eng and the end result was a moderate UAI, not very high but enough to get into most things practically.Extra 4-5 points on the UAI for being a country student made little effect so if your a country student, dont count on relying on the extra points which some universities offer.

RIZAL

HSC
Bon: you doing Commerce @ UNSW without any HSC maths? Get ready to study bro.

schwang_thang

stay with ext 1!

at the end of yr 11 i was agonising over whether or not 2 drop math ext so i could concentrate more on other subjects, but in the end my teacher talked me in2 staying...at the time i thought it wasn't a brilliant move bcos my maths ext average in raw scores was abt 70%

...but just wait til u get ur hsc marks! mine sky rocketed 2 48/50! ext 1 will save ur ass :D

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by schwang_thang
stay with ext 1!

at the end of yr 11 i was agonising over whether or not 2 drop math ext so i could concentrate more on other subjects, but in the end my teacher talked me in2 staying...at the time i thought it wasn't a brilliant move bcos my maths ext average in raw scores was abt 70%

...but just wait til u get ur hsc marks! mine sky rocketed 2 48/50! ext 1 will save ur ass :D
Again, I just wanna emphasise that raw scores at school are not a good indicator of whether you should stick with it or not, just your rank...unless you go to a selective school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)