MATH1111 - most important gen math topics? (1 Viewer)

hungry

HSC
I just changed my math unit to MATH1111 because I only have year 10 math. I know I was late but I didn't know about it until recently. Well it assumes general math and obviously I don't have that. I have 3 days until uni starts with nothing to do. I'm gonna get a gen math textbook tonight from the library and try to get some things learnt before uni. What would you think are the most important general math topics to learn? Especially for MATH1111 at usyd? (introduction to calculus)

Silly Sausage

HSC
Don't bother with a general math textbook, it will be almost completely irrelevant to MATH1111 (which assumes year 10 math anyways). If you're gonna borrow a textbook you should definitely have a lot at the 2-unit ones (yr 11 for algebra).

It is most important to get your algebra skills up to scratch before commencing calculus, you should be able to expand binomials and factorise expressions at the very least. Indices are also extremely important (index laws).

hungry

HSC
Don't bother with a general math textbook, it will be almost completely irrelevant to MATH1111 (which assumes year 10 math anyways). If you're gonna borrow a textbook you should definitely have a lot at the 2-unit ones (yr 11 for algebra).

It is most important to get your algebra skills up to scratch before commencing calculus, you should be able to expand binomials and factorise expressions at the very least. Indices are also extremely important (index laws).
Oh ok, good thing I also borrowed a calculus book as well then. It did seem a lot of the general math topics were irrelevant to calculus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)