Mass Defect (1 Viewer)

howareya

Banned
Can someone please explain the concept of mass defect and binding energy?

How do you calculate mass defect and binding energy?

If you had to calculate mass defect of atom--. Do you include electrons?

HELP I dont understand thisthnx

PhysicsNerd

i dont think you need to calculate it but if you split an hydrogen atom then weight the necleons (one proton and neutron) it will weight more than what the initial mass of the atom was. The nuclear energy is turned into mass.

e=mc2

I THINK!!

PoLaRbEaR

The Bear
HSC
yeh you do need to calculate mass defect...dot point:
solve problems and analyse information to calculate the mass defect and energy released in natural transmutation and fission reactions
to calculate mass defect, find the total mass of the subatomic particles[electrons, protons and neutrons], then find the mass of the atom formed...mass defect is the difference in mass between the two...

dot point: explain the concept of mass defect using Einstein's equivalence between mass and energy
As the subatomic particles come together some of the mass is converted to energy, which is the binding energy to keep the neucleons together in the nucleus. Most of the mass loss comes from the neutrons and protons because they have more mass than the electrons.
Referring to Eintein's equation E=mc or in this case E=[mass defect]c the binding energy is the energy equal to the mass defect as the atom is formed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)