market research question (1 Viewer)

hungreypotter

HSC
hey yalll just wanna double check
in my trial paper there was a question on market research where this international business wanted to expand into australia (dont remember the question exactly lol) but the question was like discuss why market research would beneficial for the business
however i got a mark deducted from my answer bc i said they could research aus consumer laws since its an international business and policies might be different etc etc and can affect their marketing
so im not sure if i can appeal it for an extra mark bc ive searched it up and its not really clear whether market research is used for consumer laws so can someone confirm pls tyy

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I think that a good start would involve revisiting the concept of market research. In Business Studies, market research is understood as being a way through which a business can collect information that is relevant to its needs and those of its customers. Here, you may argue that the notion of the business's needs could constitute an avenue for you to discuss the connection between researching Australian consumer laws and market research. However, this is unfortunately not the case for a couple of reasons:
  • Market research focuses on gathering information such as customer characteristics, brand awareness and particular purchase behaviours. These are essentially the needs of the business, i.e. the international business needs this information about Australian customers. Subsequently, the business can determine whether to collect primary or secondary data. Legal aspects are not related to customer characteristics and are therefore not relevant to market research.
  • Market research is separate from consumer laws under the syllabus. Market research falls under the marketing process, whereas consumer laws fall under influences on marketing. Business Studies questions require responses that directly target the specific syllabus dot point(s) being assessed. In your case, you referred to an aspect of consumer laws, which does not directly address the market research dot point that this question assesses.
While it is definitely correct to suggest that an international business should seek to understand the laws of the country to which it wishes to expand its operations, this particular notion is simply not relevant to the question being asked. Overall, I believe that the one-mark deduction was fair.

I hope this helps! 😄

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)