• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Maintaining a Balance Questions ? (1 Viewer)

tiffi

HSC
I have a few questions i would like to resolve for future summaries
1. What is Hormone Replacement Therapy ?? ( a good definition required)
2. How Hormone Replacement Therapy helps Addison's Disease Sufferer's
3. What is the impact on society of HRT to treat people with hormone deficiency disease like Addison’s disease?
4. In Kidney Function what processes are involved, what mechanisms ensure essential substances are retained, what hormones are involved, what regulates water and salt?
5. In Renal Dialysis what processes are involved, what is the blood moved by, what meachanisms ensure that essential substances are retained, what hormones are involved, what regulates salt and water, how ofter does renal dialysis take place ? and are there any side effects ?
6. Nitrogenous Waste and water conservation in Australian Insects ? (excretion, toxicity, energy required, amount of water lost through excretion, concentration of urine) This was a homework activity but i was sick and missed the work but now have a new teacher who doesn't know what sheet i am talking about so general info would be good as well :)

And if anyone knows of any good links to anything regarfing donated blood and products that would be fantastic

Thankyou for your help

sinophile

HSC
N/A
I have a few questions i would like to resolve for future summaries
1. What is Hormone Replacement Therapy ?? ( a good definition required)
2. How Hormone Replacement Therapy helps Addison's Disease Sufferer's
3. What is the impact on society of HRT to treat people with hormone deficiency disease like Addison’s disease?
4. In Kidney Function what processes are involved, what mechanisms ensure essential substances are retained, what hormones are involved, what regulates water and salt?
5. In Renal Dialysis what processes are involved, what is the blood moved by, what meachanisms ensure that essential substances are retained, what hormones are involved, what regulates salt and water, how ofter does renal dialysis take place ? and are there any side effects ?
6. Nitrogenous Waste and water conservation in Australian Insects ? (excretion, toxicity, energy required, amount of water lost through excretion, concentration of urine) This was a homework activity but i was sick and missed the work but now have a new teacher who doesn't know what sheet i am talking about so general info would be good as well :)

And if anyone knows of any good links to anything regarfing donated blood and products that would be fantastic

Thankyou for your help
1. Hormone replacement therapy is used to treat people who cannot, or have an impaired ability to secrete hormones. Hormones from an external source, be they synthetic or naturally-made, are administered to the patient.

2. Helps them regulate the amount of sodium that their kidneys reabsorb. Usually they are injected with a synthetic replacement for aldosterone called fludrocortisone. This primarily helps them to maintain an optimum concentration of sodium ions in the blood, but secondarily helps regulate blood pressure (because more the concentration of sodium ions affects how much water is reabsorbed via osmosis in the kidneys).

3. They can lead relatively normal lives, being happy and contributing their labour and resources to society. If we didn't have HRT, these people would die or be cripples, so they would be a drain on society instead.

4. Kidney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
To be very general, active and passive filtration/absorbtion are the mechanisms which regulates water and salt.

Active filtration occurs in the glomulerus, where high blood pressure forces out most of the things dissolved in blood into the Bowman's capsule.

A number of hormones regulate water and salt. Its probably sufficient to jsut learn two: ADH secreted by hypothalmus and Aldosterone secreted by the adrenal gland.

5. Dialysis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Do your own research. Renal dialysis share many mechanisms with the kidney, with the important exception that filtration is via diffusion instead of active filtration via pressure.

6. Hm, this isn't really a question. I suggest you consult your notes or textbook.

tiffi

HSC
Can i ask another question please?? where on earth did you get the information ?? its fantastic !!!!
Thanks for your help !!

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Ive already finished my HSC, so basically its all in my head :p

I found that the Heinemann textbook and the macquarie study guide are the best textbooks on biology out there. use heinemann as your 'starting textbook' and macquarie for a very succinct coverage of complex details. Use the internet too, it tells you things textbooks dont (more details, context), giving you an edge over other students.

bio_nut

HSC
I still found the KISS notes amazing too, so simple but such good info.

(though note a few things are missing, like pracs, lol)

sinophile

HSC
N/A
KISS notes are okay.. imo they simplifying things too much and also sometimes talk about things irrelevant to syllabus

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)