low cut-offs (1 Viewer)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Whats with the low engineering UAI cutoffs?
is it because UNSW allow more people in?
is it because Engineering isn't popular?
is it a typo?

the cut-offs are at least 10 points less than sydney uni...

the reasons they gave at the expo were not very convincing.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
It has a GREAT name.

The cuttoff is lower than USyd becuse UNSW isn't elitist like them.

Also, there is lower demand for Engineering then there is for Commerce (which is the flavour of the month)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
well...i dont know about engineering..but Occupational Therapy at Newcastle rests around 90, and at the other 3 NSW Uni's that offer it (USYD, CSU and UWS) it rests around the 80 mark (obviously with fluctuations)

sunny

meh.
HSC
If you ever go to a UNSW engineering/CSE intro lecture you'll surely be shown a powerpoint presentation comparing all the comp degrees and their cutoffs.

Basically it says "other" uni's with higher cut-offs usually end up taking just as much people in based on other criteria and end up lowering the cut off anyway.

Last edited:

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
newcastle uni had the highest cutoffs in australia this year for civil engineering, environmental engineering and surveying, all were 80ish, and UNSW's were 75ish i think, correct me if im wrong

Last edited:

SoFTuaRiaL

true, sydney uni, every yr, takes half the students lower than the cut off. diff unis use cut offs in diff ways.
1. unsw - the cut off is the uai of the last student to get into the course
2. usyd - the cut off is the mark usyd gives the dept of education saying that that is the standard they expect. then, when they fill in places, after they've allocated seats to all the students above the cut off, they see that there are places left over. so they give seats to ppl below cut off. i know someone with a 90 uai who's doing seng at usyd, while the cut off is 94.something

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by googy_1985
UNSW does that also - they let 5% of the total places overall for disadvantaged people below the cut off
yes, but at usyd, its not for disadvantaged ... its ANYONE!

SoFTuaRiaL

its not a scheme ..... its just that they use a different system to express cut -offs .... for them, the cut-off isnt determined by the standard of the students, but rather hte standard they expect ..... read my prev post to see how exactly its done

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)