Linux computers in CSE labs (1 Viewer)

TheKey

HSC
COMP1011 is going to be my first CSE subject and since i know next to nothing on haskell and even less on linux, im trying to convert my dual p2 server box into something as similar as possible to those lab computers in the 'harp' lab. Does anyone know what linux do they use there and what version number it is..

thx

sunny

meh.
HSC
Debian 2.4.24....though I think they might have upgraded.But its still Debian.

gman03

HSC
Linux (debian 2.4.24) with the choice of Fluxbox, KDE 3.2, Gnome etc.

Reference

|Axis_

HSC
i think the cse labs use unix. usually u install linux(redhat) on ur computer, but any version will do i suppose - i like mandrake coz its got that cute penguin :D

but i think GHCi haskell needs redhat.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
in my opinion, doing that is overkill, since you can just ftp things onto cse, and then use putty to connect to the cse servers and "simulate" a cse linux experience. actually, this is a rundown on what you need (in my opinion):

- an internet connection (for 1011 forum)
- a text editor (conText is good, emacs / vi is good to learn on, although i didnt touch them et al)
- a haskell interpreter (I highly recommend hugs over ghci). http://www.haskell.org/hugs/
- an ftp client (to transfer your haskell files to cse, if you really need to do things the cse way)
- msn address of a past 1711 student to bug on haskell questions. hell, ask your tutor for msn address even :p. get multiple actually :p

good luck, hopefully you'll find functional languages interesting, and not stressing instead.

edit : in response to installing linux i mean :p

gman03

HSC
TheKey said:
COMP1011 is going to be my first CSE subject and since i know next to nothing on haskell and even less on linux, im trying to convert my dual p2 server box into something as similar as possible to those lab computers in the 'harp' lab. Does anyone know what linux do they use there and what version number it is..

thx
Just remember, don't you think that coming to the tuba lab with me on thursday would be much more interesting tha watching a lovely movie?? :D

|Axis_

HSC
oh. :p i just thought.. bcoz in the home computing cd, the ghci install link sez "linux redhat".

im a bit muddled, u know.. <:C

TheKey

HSC
wow thanks for the quick responces, ive already installed the GHCi and Hugs and all these different editors on my main computer at home which runs WInXP, but when compared to the lab its so freakin different, thats why i wanted to do this.

And recently i bought a dual p2 server box on an auction for $10 :), so might as well make use of it.

thanks guys

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
wel... it's all GUIed, so for example you can open .hs files windows style (with that folders dialog box etc)..

oh, and it is lighter than ghci. less megabytes and it seems to go lighter than ghci for some reason (although actual performances are slower, it loads up faster than ghci).

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
You don't really need to install linux, windows is fine if you're used to it :)

sunny

meh.
HSC
While we're on the topic, its fine for comp 1A when you are using Haskell, but in 1721 or 1021 when you do C programming, it is best to check your assignments in the unix environment once every so often to make sure it is working.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
installing linux just for comp1011 is OVERKILL!
using putty is more than enough

just install XEmacs and ghci will be fine

if you want a linux interface in windows you can use cygwin....

lol and enak your avatar is a giant WTF

Netsnipe

sunny said:
Debian 2.4.24....though I think they might have upgraded.But its still Debian.
It's actually a snapshot of Debian GNU/Linux testing branch (3.0 and codenamed "Sarge").
http://cgi.cse.unsw.edu.au/~csg/news/?issue=0023

And for those who mentioned "2.4.24", that's referring to the kernel version and not the version of Debian! Anyway, they're now using 2.4.26.

If anyone here does want to buy Linux CDs, feel free to drop in by the COMPSOC Office next to the CSE labs on Level 3 of EE. And we don't particularly recommend Debian to those who have no experience with GNU/Linux at all.

All technical support queries should be made to compsoc.linuxsupport@cse

Last edited:

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
emacs is the most hopeless editor ever, IMHO :) then again I use (g)vim because it's purdy..

I wouldn't say installing linux is overkill because you learn some very nifty stuff that you can use on the uni lab computers (shell scripts, shell commands, How To Use Man etc).

then again I haven't gotten around to installing linux at home yet .. i have the cds but yes you should buy them from CompSoc :D

BillAnachronism

Netsnipe, you don't happen to have cds of Ubuntu?
I did put my details down for ship-it but it is taking a long time.. and may not even get to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)