last question in section one about particle accelerators (1 Viewer)

plumo89

what kind of answer was needed for the last question in section one on particle accelerators?

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
I think you need to say how the mag field changes its polarity to attract/repel the electron and in doing so, increases its speed.

That's a smart friend's response. Mine was completely off.

Affinity

HSC
your friend's answer is completely off. magnetic fields can't accelerate charges.

F = q v X B (X -> cross product)

W = integral F * dr

but F is perpendicular to v

so work = 0

and no acceleration.

Last edited:

Rahul

Dead Member
i cant quite remember the question, but i remember writing something like length contraction of the field :confused:

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Affinity
You're such a great friend to have :p
yeah i don't like to have friends like that...

Originally posted by Rahul
i cant quite remember the question, but i remember writing something like length contraction of the field :confused:
damn!! i didn't write about relativistic effects. :(
just used the centipetal force formula to explain it.

toknblackguy

HSC
hmmm...i wrote stuff like it got accelerated between the 'ds' of the accelerator, and as it accelerated, the radius of movement increases, so to maintain the same radius, u increase the strength of the magnetic field. then i said a bit about, as reaching near light velocities, the mass starts dilating, again resulting in larger radius, and magnetic field is again increased. then i wrote down the mass dilation equation :p
then i wrote
qvb = mv^2
r
and then rewrote it twice to show that magnetic field and radius did something
hehehe

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
affinity what do you mean by a magnetic field can't accelerate a charge?

my answer said that there were two increasing quantities, mass and velocity, and i derived that for the centripetal force to be constant (as applied by the magnetic field), the magnetic field must increase in direction proportion to both.

tegs

I got fully lost. I wrote something about the F=BIlsin equation. Which is wrong I think. I didn't even think about the centripital force equation.
Silly, silly Tegs!!!

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by toknblackguy
hmmm...i wrote stuff like it got accelerated between the 'ds' of the accelerator, and as it accelerated, the radius of movement increases, so to maintain the same radius, u increase the strength of the magnetic field. then i said a bit about, as reaching near light velocities, the mass starts dilating, again resulting in larger radius, and magnetic field is again increased. then i wrote down the mass dilation equation :p
then i wrote
qvb = mv^2
r
and then rewrote it twice to show that magnetic field and radius did something
hehehe
Well, I hope you're right, because that's what I did! ;)

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
just being pedantically anal :p the synchrotron dont have dees
Originally posted by walla
affinity what do you mean by a magnetic field can't accelerate a charge?
i might be wrong but i think that the accelerating cavities use high voltage to induce electrical fields to accelerate charges while the magnetic fields from the electromagnets keep the particle in circular orbit.... some thing anyway

Affinity

HSC
yep, magnetic fields CANNOT increase the speed charge particles, no matter how you change the field (yeah I used the word acceleration loosely in my other post), above post gave the general idea, only electric fields can accelerate the charge

N

ND

Originally posted by Affinity
your friend's answer is completely off. magnetic fields can't accelerate charges.

F = q v X B (X -> cross product)

W = integral F * dr

but F is perpendicular to v

so work = 0

and no acceleration.
If something undergoes UCM, it's accelerating... :p (sorry, just being a smartass)

edit: damn i'm too slow...

ESL

I am not sure but think that question was just another way of asking: "Describe the implications of achieving relativistic speed..." (in relation to time dilation, length contration and mass dilation)... So I'll have to agree wil Rahul on this one.

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
ok but still the magnetic fields are, importantly, accelerating the charge around the circular radius (don't care how a synchotron really works i'm talking about the question).
affinity how did you answer the question?

Affinity

HSC
read the other thread.. basically the magnetic field is used to keep the particle in place, it cannot speed it up.

but to keep it travelling in the same radius, the field must increase as a the speed increases, and you have to take in relativistic effects and the gamma factor.

ND:

:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)