Last minute advice (1 Viewer)

theodore0307

HSC
Do you guys have any last minute advice for tomorrows adv. maths exam? Any pointers or tips?

Thanks

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Do you guys have any last minute advice for tomorrows adv. maths exam? Any pointers or tips?

Thanks

Just relax, think clearly, have common sense, do everything properly, if you are looking for band 6 only, prioritize questions that will give you a higher mark/time ratio, otherwise, just gun everything

Good luck!

astroman

HSC
this isn't really last minute advice but it's useful: http://community.boredofstudies.org/12/mathematics/197896/ultimate-guide-hsc-mathematics.html

DURING EXAM
6. Attempt all questions!
I cannot stress this enough. ATTEMPT ALL QUESTIONS! If you get stuck with one question, leave it for the time being and move on to another question. You may have better luck in other questions.

7. Be aware of the marks allocated to each question!
Marks allocated to each question reflects how difficult it is and how much you have to write. You don't have to spend 30 lines explaining 2 marks-value question. My teacher once said that we should spend 1.5 minutes for each mark. But that's pretty much rubbish because questions from 1-5 are really easy that you should spend much little time on them.

8. Use board developed calculators
Get board-approvaed calculators. Following link shows the name of board-approvaed calculators. Make sure you read it if you don't have one.
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au...ators_hsc.html

9. You are encouraged to write formulas down
Write your formulas down when you are doing complicated ones that involve many numbers. It will be of large benefits.

10. Make sure your writings are readable and neat
Write neatly and make sure your writings are READABLE. Be clear in your answer (e.g. 0.7 rather than .7) This was my issue for a long time. I have lost many marks in my school tests because of this. I am glad that it didn't happen during my hsc, haha.

11. Show all necessary workings
Some people don't do this. EVEN THE EXAM SAYS THAT YOU NEED TO SHOW ALL WORKINGS. Therefore, do all your workings especially for PLANE GEOMETRY AND CIRCLE GEOMETRY. Even if you write stuff on diagrams write them down in your working out. You are advised to do that. You are also encouraged write stuff such as "thefore", "so", "i.e." and etc to allow markers to follow you!

12. Be specific when you give theorems for geometric questions .
Don't just say "the angles in an isoceles triangle add to 180 degrees"
You have to be specific. For example, "x =70 degrees, the base angles of an isoceles triangle are equal".

13. If a theorem has a "recognised name". It is sufficient to quote the name
i.e. "Ratio of Intercepts theorem" or "Pythagoras's theorem"

14. Give enough speace for each question.
HAVE lots of space. It is always good to have lots of space to prevent UGLINESS AT THE END. It's also useful when you cannot do the question and have to come back later.

15. In Q1, when you get substitution question, you must show the step of substitution immediately before use of calculator

16. IN Q1, when you get a calculator-based question, you have to write everything on your calculator before rounding off.

17. Usually, it's betteer to draw diagrams & sketches even if they were given in the question, Spend at least half a page drawing on it. There have been markers' comments that they don't even mark a drawing if they are not at least the 1/3 of the page (i.e. when marks are actually allocated for drawing a diagram)

You are highly encouraged to draw your diagram. They are also useful aids in solving problems. When drawing it, PLEASE USE RULER AND NECESSARY ITEMS.

18. Write your answer in an appropriate place so markers can see it. Don't expect them to find it. (it's really bad if you write two answers where only one answer is right...)

Write them in an appropriate place and make sure markers can find it.

19. Read over your exam and don't waste your time
You just spend 10 years at school to get to here. Don't waste one moment of it. Read over your exam and fix all the writings if yourself can't read it. Be clear, specific, neat and right.

20. KNOW HSC TERMS:
'state' or 'write down' or 'give example of': no explanation required - just write your answer
'find' or 'determine': provide reasoning, explnation
'verify': should test the truth oof a statement, usually by substitution
'hence': student should use the preceding result or information to answer the question
'prove' or 'show': establish in detail the truth of a statement. Full reasoning is needed and NEVER try to prove something by assuming at the start
'solve': work out the anwer or solution to a problem. Write them in appropriate forms (e.g. in decimal, pi or fraction form)

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
10354659_1468885943347336_8876665730013832596_n.jpg

just be swagicilious like ja'mie coz u dont need an atar to make it in life

u can just become a model in africa n help all the kids wif aids (whilst getting rlly skinny)

But in all seriousness, make sure you get a good sleep. Really helps tbh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)