Language Placement Tests (1 Viewer)

sephora

HSC
Hi everyone. I was just wondering if any BOSers had done/were doing languages at UNSW and could tell me anything about the format of the placement tests. It's really difficult to know what to revise without knowing what the format is like. So if anyone could help me, that would be great! Thanks :)

jawjayo

vast and green
HSC
my friend who is currently on msn tells me that you don't need to study. She did French last year and says that it involved a short written comprehension and some listening which only took about 20-30 mins. She claims that she understood very little and still got put into 3rd year. I dont know if i believe her... but thats what she says.

oh and just some advice... if you dont go over the top studying you're more likely to be put in an appropriate class for your natural abilities. If you study to do well in the test you may get put into a class thats too hard, so you'll get pass marks instead of distinctions when it comes to exam time. better to be comfortable in 2nd year than struggling in 3rd year.

... i hope that makes sense

Last edited:

kaitoufion

HSC
The purpose of the Placement Test is to see how much you know by heart already. Therefore they actually recommend you NOT to revise for anything :) So you don't need to worry about revising anything.

After the Placement Test, you will know your result on the same day. For example, if they put you into Level 3 and you find it too hard/easy during your first few weeks of classes, then you can request to move to a higher/lower level.

However, the result from your Placement Test might not be very accurate since they are only testing on a small area of knowledge. So after you know your suggested level, go to the library or the bookshop and have a browse through that level's textbook. If you know most of the stuff from that textbook already, I would suggest you try a level higher.

jawjayo

vast and green
HSC
Number One Rule for First Years: ANYTHING OF IMPORTANCE CAN ALWAYS BE FOUND ONLINE!

So to find out when you have to sit your placement test check the faculty website at http://languages.arts.unsw.edu.au

this will direct you to a page that has every language and the date of placement tests (which are this coming week).

vicchick_007

Eternal student
HSC
Is it compulsory to do this language placement test?

Chinese is scheduled for 11.00 am tomorrow, what if i cant make it and how long does it usually go for???

Thanks.......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)