Kubla Khan help! (1 Viewer)

barry1

HSC
Dear BoSers!!

I need your help, i've chosen to do this poem for my AOS response but i still don't get it at all, i hope somone can explicitly tell me what coleridge is trying to get at in the poem and how it relates to IJ. Otherwise i'm stuffed for this Friday!!

rel91

HSC
OK WHY have you chosen to do kubla khan? our teacher actually told us NOT to do it coz it is too weird.....
my advice: do an easier one like lime-tree bower of frost at midnight....they are soooo much easier to understand than kubla khan and you will still get decent marks doing them so yeah......
sorry, i would help you with kubla if i understood it but i DON'T so yeah..... i just know the other 3 :D

janaranaran!

HSC
I think if you don't get it by now you'd be better off trying to learn one of the conversational poems instead.

but the main connection to imaginative journeys i make is to do with the river alph (aleph, alpha in other forms). It represents the stream of consciousness, the flow of human creativity, unbridled and uncontrollable.
It comes from an unknowable source, flows 'through caverns measureless to man'
into an unreachable abyss.
Basically the mind, the imagination is beyond our understanding or control, awe-inspiring.

I make a connection to music being a way of unlocking the creative power inherent in our imaginations - the abyssinian maid, of whose music the speaker says if he could only hear it again he would become fearful and powerful -

'such a deep delight t'would win me that with music loud and long I would build that dome in air'

[that quote might be wrong, can't remember right now]

Jaspal

HSC
Kubla Khan is a world, a creation in his imagination. It's very much about nature, creation and has supernatural elements. Also romantic elements. Peace is rare. Reflective.

Personally i hate frost at midnight. Kubla Khan has so much you can talk about no matter the question. same with Lime tree.

Goodluck guys

ckprior

HSC
Yeh I understand that about Kubla but often the question has something to do with a 'change/transformation' as a result of the IJ but for Kubla it is unfinished so really hard to say how it moved you.... any ideas????

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
wait, im confused, our teachers told us we have to do two of the four? mine are the two conversational, cause theyre easy. dunno the other two.

ckprior

HSC
ok i'm just asking if the question said 'imaginative journeys change the responder so that when they are back in reality it's a bit different' for example, it easily relates to the other 3 but for kubla its just weird.... any ideas as to how to answer it that way

janaranaran!

HSC
Well there's a kind of revelation in kuba kahn (last stanza especially) about the creative power of the mind and shiz. That's what I talk about for change, kind of like how in lime tree bower he has the revleation of the awesomeness of nature being everywhere bla bla ba

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)