Kingship in Sparta (1 Viewer)

bunce08

HSC
I know the basics of the dual kingship etc, but need to know in greater detail things such as the roles and responsibilities of the kings, and what influence the kings had on the running of Sparta
Any help would be much appreciated:)

myonlyhope90

HSC
Uni Grad
Hasn't your teacher given you any resources?

The best text book I could suggest would be Pamela Bradley's Ancient Greece: Using Sources.

I'm sure if you looked hard enough you could find the answer yourself using the notes/resources people have put together on the Bored of Studies website...

dollabella

HSC
The best book is Brennan, Spartan Society Interpreting the Evidence. Fantastic on this topic. Bradley is crap!!

myonlyhope90

HSC
Uni Grad
The best book is Brennan, Spartan Society Interpreting the Evidence. Fantastic on this topic. Bradley is crap!!
Well unfortunately, I did not use Brennan's book for my HSC... I'm sure it is a creditable resource, I did, however, use the Pompeii and Herculaneum version of the same book by Brennan and Lazer and I did find it particularly useful for some sections, especially religion, but not all. Opinions will be opinions.

Also, a great summary of Spartan Society can be found in the HTA Ancient History Study Guide which is availbale on the HTA website.

LordPc

HSC
I picked up the Brennen book on Sparta a few weeks before my HSC and tbh it wasnt that good. It was all this extra stuff that I hadnt even heard of and all of these sources and evidence, which from studying sparta i know there is very little of. So doing sparta by working through evidence doesnt make much sense. way to dense aswell. Brennen and Lazer for pompeii is great but for sparta, I'd pass, much better textbooks out there that will get you full marks

dollabella

HSC
Just because YOU hadnt heard of it doesnt mean it is not right !! He shows how many of the books just repeat old theories and he shows you that people now think differently. It is the book that would get you a band 6 - just requires you to think . Not everyone likes doing that

LordPc

HSC
Just because YOU hadnt heard of it doesnt mean it is not right !! He shows how many of the books just repeat old theories and he shows you that people now think differently. It is the book that would get you a band 6 - just requires you to think . Not everyone likes doing that
Um, where did I say that the Brennan book was "not right"? the thing is, you dont need to know some of that stuff, which is why its not a great book. who cares if old theories are being repeated and now there is a difference in thinking? I want to know facts that will get me marks in the HSC exam. you dont have time to be writing such deep answers to 5 and 6 mark questions, there just isnt time.

I never used the book to study and I got a band 6. I also read many HSC past paper responses and not once did I read something that was totally foreign to me

not everyone likes thinking, but there is a significant difference between not wanting to think and not wanting to learn information that you wont use in the HSC

myonlyhope90

HSC
Uni Grad
Um, where did I say that the Brennan book was "not right"? the thing is, you dont need to know some of that stuff, which is why its not a great book. who cares if old theories are being repeated and now there is a difference in thinking? I want to know facts that will get me marks in the HSC exam. you dont have time to be writing such deep answers to 5 and 6 mark questions, there just isnt time.

I never used the book to study and I got a band 6. I also read many HSC past paper responses and not once did I read something that was totally foreign to me

not everyone likes thinking, but there is a significant difference between not wanting to think and not wanting to learn information that you wont use in the HSC
Yeah, I agree... I got a Band 6 as well and I didn't use Brennan's book.

Think dollabella needs to realise that we all can't be great "thinkers" like him...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)