Jostein Gaarder (1 Viewer)

malayz_angel

Has anyone read any of his/her books? I read 'Sophie's World' in Year Ten or so and I recently read 'The Solitaire Mystery.' I especially liked the latter, it's truly amazing how everything sounds so strange and implausible, yet makes perfect sense in the end. As for the former..well it did make me start thinking more philosophically...although I did get confused by certain schools of thought at times. :D

Last edited:

Jinglebell

HSC
i never got around to finishing 'sophie's world', not so much through boredom as getting distracted by another book, if i remember rightly.

hmmm, might have to dig it out again and make an effort to finish it, especially since i'm a lot more interested in philosophy these days...

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
Yeah, I read most of Sophie's World, but it was due back at the library before I ever got to finish it.
I bought it about a week ago from the bookstore because I really enjoyed what I had read, but I haven't gotten around to it yet, what with reading other books and such.

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
I read "Sophie's World", it was good.
I also read "Through a glass, darkly", and I'm not really sure if I liked it or not. It had some really interesting ideas, but the story that was telling them wasn't as good... although I guess it was most suited to the story so it worked.
Uhm. I'm rambling and not making much sense. Sorry.

miss_pie

HSC
i found both 'the solitaire mystery' and 'sophies world' amazing. i read both in about yr 8 and they changed my perspective of the world (i was quite naive as most yr 8 girls are) i re-read 'a solitaire mystery' recently and got so much from it reading it at an age that i could comprehend concepts. i have also read 'a christmas mystery' which is a very cute little book :) we have 'maya' at home also but i didnt get into it and gave up.
an amazing amazing author!!

kaseita

oh yea, she's good!
read 'sophies world' in yr7 - my first senior fiction book. the rest I read later - 'maya' was pretty good as well!
I've got 'a christmas mystery' at home, but haven't gotten round to reading it yet...I'll have to make time for it this hol

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Yeah, I read Sophies World, and loved it.
Though I wasn't a great fan of the actual writing-it was just an interesting read. I actually found the actual storys writing (the stuff outside the philosophy readings) a bit trite.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I read his Christmas one every christmas :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)