Japanese (1 Viewer)

HSChelpneeded

HSC
Hi guys,

Basically I'd like to know if anyone is planning on continuing Japanese in university and if yes, would you do it by itself Japanese studies or pair it with something e.g. commerce and international studies (japan)

Just want to know if you think this would be a good way to keep learning the language/not lose the skills and be able to keep talking in it

mkristie

HSC
yep, I'm planning on continuing Japanese in university even though I only did beginners for HSC, I'd love to learn the language in more depth. I wouldn't really recommend learning the language by itself (if by that you mean doing a degree/course where you only study Japanese) unless you intend on going into translating/interpreting because it'd just seem like a waste of time in my opinion. I think pairing it with something else and doing a double degree is the most sensible option. Or at least that's what I'm intending to do.
It'd definitely help you keep your Japanese knowledge and extend on your skills, but of course it's difficult to become confident with conversational Japanese in an environment where no one really speaks the language and you don't really have any ways to practice. Though if you pick up international studies, most universities offer a year's worth of overseas exchange which would be the perfect opportunity to develop your skills if you decide to complete your exchange in Japan. :)

HSChelpneeded

HSC
@mKristie yeah I agree, Japanese by itself is not a good idea, career prospects get limited and you dont develop a wide range of skills. What are you planning on pairing it with and at what university?

mkristie

HSC
I'd like to do Media & Communications (majoring in PR & advertising)/International Studies (majoring in international relations) with Japanese as my chosen language stream, ideally at UNSW. What about you? :)

HSChelpneeded

HSC
I got early entry into MQ for international studies and law, so im planning on that with japanese also as my main language

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)