Is Speech Pathology REALLY for me? (1 Viewer)

exe231

HSC
Hi, I'm sorry if my questions are repetitive, but I still don't know if I would enjoy doing speech pathology or not, and I hope you guys can give me some advices.

I have read all the posts about speech pathology and "Discipline of Speech Pathology" on the USYD website. I'm positive that I want to help people who have speech and language difficulties. But I didn't do chem for HSC (i'm in yr12) and I didn't like chem when I did it up til year 10. Will this be a problem? As in, will it affect my interest in Speech Pathology?

As for the bridging course, the website says that the bridging course is strongly recommended for those who haven't done chem before or who are not familiar with it (that is, me), but someone also said that there's no point doing the briding course in the end because there's almost no chem at all in the 3rd year. I am aware of that having the assumed knowledge in chem will serve me well in studying biomed. etc. but will I survive by just paying attention in the lectures?

Thanks!!!

me-mfhs

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey sorry for late reply,

I can't decide for you if speech path is "for you". Don't worry you will be fine even if you didn't do chem or bio. Alot of my friends didn't do chem. And I didn't do physics LOL. But I still passed that subject. so you'll be fine!!! Besides, you have the internet to help you, youtube (there's alot of youtube tutorials - it's how I learnt the ATP cycle :D - and textbooks from the library and the textbooks you buy. I bought the chem textbook from uni (which helped!) and sold it the next year to a 1st year. But definately buy the Martini textbook.

Also, you only do the bio/chem stuff for one semester - and THAT's it! You dont need to know it anymore hahaha. However with physics from memory you do abit more. But it's like the really basic physics... (I cant remember anything anymore) i.e. you don't need to remember it after you learn it... But that doesn't mean DON'T study for it! cuz you still gotta know it for your exam. they probably changed it now...but from memory the final exam was worth 80%... lol

the only think that COULD affect you is that you still need to learn science stuff like ANATOMY/PHYSIOLOGY (of head and neck), NEUROLOGY (detailed to the max) and APPLY this knowledge to your subjects. e.g. if you go to a hospital, and you see a client with a stroke, you observe their difficulties and need to know what part of the brain is affected. But it's okay! once you learn it you'd remember it I swear. Like you learn >9000 anatomy stuff...but in the end you end up remembering the stuff that's relevant to speech path. Plus speech path isn't only about that sciency stuff, the other half is the stuff you seem to like i.e. language/speech difficulties etc.

and with "for the bridging course, the website says that the bridging course is strongly recommended for those who haven't done chem before or who are not familiar with it (that is, me), but someone also said that there's no point doing the briding course in the end because there's almost no chem at all in the 3rd year."

It's up to you if you want to do the bridging course or not. And that person is right, no chem AT ALL in 3rd year. But if you fail the human cell bio course you'll have to repeat it - and you'd be behind everyone. I'd say better to be safe then sorry >.<. I didn't do the bridging course though - and I had a chem/bio background =( so I wouldn't know if it'll be helpful or not! but I reckon in the lectures, the guy is gonna repeat what you already learnt in the bridging course!

Here's a sample I found in my first year folder regarding the 'hsc science subjects' you will learn in first year.. p.s. I can't answer any of them anymore =( ..

so dont worry you'll be fine. just study.
------------

1. Describe the arrangement of lipid, protein and carbohydrate in the outer cell membrane, and outline the role of each.

15. Define and give two examples of each of the following:

(a) Ion
(b) Cation
(c) Anion

3. Explain what is meant by the terms:

(A) Substrate
(B) Active site
(C) Modulator

4. You are provided with the following list of terms for the processes, substrates and products of metabolism. Draw a flow chart or charts to link all these terms in a meaningful way. You may if you wish use other terms not provided in the list or multiples of the terms already listed.

Carbohydrates Glycogen
Lipids Glucose
Proteins Glucose-6-phosphate
Pyruvic acid
Glycolysis Lactic acid
Krebs cycle Acetyl coenzyme-A
Oxidative phosphorylation Water
Glycogenolysis Oxygen
Glycogenesis Coenzyme (NAD, FAD)
Gluconeogenesis Coenzyme-2H
(NADH + H, FADH)

Lipogenesis (lipid anabolism) Carbon dioxide
Lipolysis (lipid catabolism) ADP
ATP

Protein synthesis Glycerol
Proteinolysis (protein catabolism) Fatty acids
Amino acids
Oxidative deamination Keto acids
Transmination Ammonia

13. Using the Periodic table, calculate the relative formula mass of the following compounds:

(i) Sodium chloride

(ii) Potassium carbonate

(iii) Calcium bicarbonate (also called calcium hydrogen carbonate)

-----------------

Let me know if you need any other information!!

Last edited:

exe231

HSC
THANK YOU SO MUCH for the reply!!! I'm more positive now about the degree and I think I'll do the bridging course to play safe as you said. Thank you again! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)