Is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

rhaikath

HSC
UNSW engineering offers 2 tier programs for 1st year engineers, say

Higher Mathematics 1A - MATH1141 -
Assumed knowledge: Students will be expected to have achieved a combined HSC mark in Mathematics Extension 1 and 2 over 175.
or
Mathematics 1A - MATH1131

Assumed knowledge: HSC Mathematics Extension 1. Students will be expected to have achieved a combined mark of at least 100 in Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1.

as well as for Physics and Chemistry...

So what if you do meet the requirements for the higher tier... is it worth it to push yourself? Like what are the consequences of doing the higher tier...

1) do you learn harder stuff and do the same exam as the other tiers so you can get higher marks easier

2) or do you get extra credits and better recognition with higher tiers

3) or is it compulsory to do the higher tiers if you meet the requirements

4) or do you do harder exams with smarter people so you end up with lower marks... and its just an ego thing

i' pretty confused by all this... please give recommendations on whether it's worth it.

thanks

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
It's weird with the requirements of MATH1131 sounding so low.

Combined of 100+ with 2unit and 3unit sounds loleasy.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
回复: Is it worth it?

UNSW engineering offers 2 tier programs for 1st year engineers, say

Higher Mathematics 1A - MATH1141 -
Assumed knowledge: Students will be expected to have achieved a combined HSC mark in Mathematics Extension 1 and 2 over 175.
or
Mathematics 1A - MATH1131

Assumed knowledge: HSC Mathematics Extension 1. Students will be expected to have achieved a combined mark of at least 100 in Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1.

as well as for Physics and Chemistry...

So what if you do meet the requirements for the higher tier... is it worth it to push yourself? Like what are the consequences of doing the higher tier...

1) do you learn harder stuff and do the same exam as the other tiers so you can get higher marks easier

2) or do you get extra credits and better recognition with higher tiers

3) or is it compulsory to do the higher tiers if you meet the requirements

4) or do you do harder exams with smarter people so you end up with lower marks... and its just an ego thing

i' pretty confused by all this... please give recommendations on whether it's worth it.

thanks
Future UNSW 1st year engineering students, first check this thread:

http://community.boredofstudies.org...t/197881/ultimate-guide-first-year-maths.html

Then,

Both MATH1131 and MATH1141 have 2 algebra questions and 2 calculus questions. (Like HSC 2-unit maths has 10 questions)
At most only 1 question from MATH1131 will be in the MATH1141 final exam.

It is easier to drop from MATH1141 to MATH1131 rather than the other way around.

It is worth noting that marks in the MATH1141 final exam are scaled such that they are not placed at a disadvantage to MATH1131 students.

It's weird with the requirements of MATH1131 sounding so low.

Combined of 100+ with 2unit and 3unit sounds loleasy.
the 4-unit maths hsc people have such a good time because the first week involves complex numbers and much later on integration by parts which they are so familiar with.
once they proceed to MATH1231 or MATH1241 many of them are no longer laughing.
UNSW removed the so-called CIS notation from the complex numbers topic made up by the board of studies from Euler's formula.

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Re: 回复: Is it worth it?

alot of mathematicians dislike cis@, hideous notation.

e^ix is annoying though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)