Iron Core (1 Viewer)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I think the magnetic field will overlap the second coil more (i.e. greater change in flux experienced) if you wind it directly opposite the first on the other prong rather than next to it.

But the field will be strongest at the ends of the coil. Tough call. :)

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
Just some info regarding the thickness of the coil, you should have no more than 3A per mm (diameter of the wire) flowing through the wire. So if you were to connect your transformer to a standard 240V AC power point* which gives 10A, you'd need a primary coil with a diameter of at least 3.4 mm.

If you have a lower power AC supply, like a 9V 2A source for example, your coil diameter is recommended to be at least 0.67 mm. For your secondary coil, calculate the current that you intend to pass throught it and from the ratio of diameter to max current, calculate the minumum diameter you should use.

* Don't do it, it's very dangerous and against the power authority regulations for you to stick your own unapproved & unshielded stuff into the power point :p. Use a low power AC source.

gnrlies

HSC
i was gonna use the schools transformers

the wires i got were 1.25 mm for the primary and 0.4mm for the secondary (assuming im stepping up)

Affinity

HSC
I find it rather difficult to bend those 1.25 mm wires

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)