Introduced species (1 Viewer)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
What have you put for the following syllabus points, cause i don't know what to do:

Identify broadscale environmental impacts of one or more introduced species on a local ecosystem.

Examine and critically evaluate the strategies being used to rehabilitate this ecosystem or to minimise threatening processes.

Thanks.

kalli

HSC
what introduces species are you doing?

i am doing camphor laurel at the Orara River and Valley and some impacs are:
ABIOTIC
*allelopathy - release of toxins into soil --> decrease germination of native plants
*decrease in light via shade
*old top heavy trees can fall into creeks --> increase in erosion
*root systems disrupt built structures e.g. pipe, concrete

BIOTIC
*decrease in native plants therefore disruption of native food web
*increase in food for some native animals e.g. birds
*poisions may enter water therefore possible increase in disease and death in aquatic niches

Strategies used to minimise impacts:
*local landcare group initiated camphor laurel eradication scheme involving removal via weeding of small seedlings, chain sawing large trees then poisioning stumps.
*local residents hand weed for seedlings

it is supposed to be a LOCAL ecosystem so this might not even help you... i do have notes on the mosquito fish and lantana if anyone is interested....

hope ive helped!!

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
The introduced species that i am doing are: rabbit and lantana. There was also a section on which we had to do the bitou bush, but i can't remember where that section was.

My teacher said that the local ecosystem could be anything from your own backyard to anywhere in NSW as NSW is local to us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)