International Business or Finance anyone? (1 Viewer)

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
Those of you who have done these, what are they like in terms of content, workload etc...? I want to change majors and have so far narrowed it down to these two. They both sound interesting. My second major is actuarial. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Harimau

You are not me, therefore you are irrelevant
HSC
Finance is boring. Actuarial is so much better... Until you get to the finals and realise how damn hard everything is.

Although, i am in first year, so i am relatively clueless about everything. I've been told that finance gets better and actuarial gets worse in second year, but ...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
In a nutshell, International Business is interesting, and pretty easy, but isnt very practical..whereas finance is boring and relatively hard, but practical

(i do international business as a major

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
is it heavily focused on asian business or do you get to do stuff like south america and europe?

MuSaRuRWa

with an actuarial major, it'd make more sense to do finance ... they relate very much. u'll see if/when u do fins1613 and actl2001.

and harimau, yes ... wait till u get to actl 2nd yr :p

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by ezzy85
is it heavily focused on asian business or do you get to do stuff like south america and europe?
It's generally focused on Asia.
The elective courses include:
IBUS2103: Japanese Business
IBUS2104: Korean Business
IBUS2105: Chinese Business Enterprise

saa

i started with an actuarial/finance double major, but now have dropped actuarial down to a minor

finance is a lot easier than actuarial. and then within finance there's probably about 20 subjects to choose from.

just try and avoid henry yip's subjects ;) although fins2624 is compulsory.. his subjects just seem a bit harder than others I've done. Although I'm not a huge fan of him as a teacher, so maybe that's why

MuSaRuRWa

Originally posted by saa
i started with an actuarial/finance double major, but now have dropped actuarial down to a minor
whats the point in doing an actuarial degree if ure gonna do a minor and not get all ur exemptions ... ? unless u dont want to work as an actuary, and ure doing it for fun :confused:

Shawny

is it possible to advoid maths subjects as much as possible in finance and economics and still get through the majors?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Shawny said:
is it possible to advoid maths subjects as much as possible in finance and economics and still get through the majors?
Finance you don't do any maths subjects
Economics, you have 2 compulsory subjects of Econometrics (statistics+maths)

santaslayer

HSC
Finance is practical, but it seems very competitive to gain employment. I might try finance if I stuff Accounting up though. :)

saa

MuSaRuRWa said:
whats the point in doing an actuarial degree if ure gonna do a minor and not get all ur exemptions ... ? unless u dont want to work as an actuary, and ure doing it for fun :confused:

I'm doing a commerce degree not an actuarial one

And I dropped it down to a minor because I wanted to get some credit for the work I've done, but figured out after doing them that I didn't want to work as an actuary

aditya

HSC
im interested in becoming a "Financial Dealer/Broker" as the job guide puts it - could someone please tell me the best way of getting there, i see a few paths -

- firstly, major in finance and accounting (accounting for the job security)
- secondly, major in economics and finance (economics is a passion of mine, I would be doing it purely for interests sake...)
- thirdly, the path i think will most successfully lead to becoming a financial dealer is through Acturial studies (maybe even double major with finacne)

I think its obvious that the third option is the best, but i dunt think im gonna get such a uai... so can someone tell me my prospects if I go really good in finance + eco/accounting on becoming a financial dealer/broker?

thanks heaps

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
the uai required for actuary is the same as the other 2 in your list.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)