IMPORTANT QUESTION - PLEASE HELP (1 Viewer)

ritikaisawesome

HSC
N/A
alright so, i've been in Australia for 2 years now
and as soon as i came here, i started doing Standard English as i "thought" it would scale me higher than ESL (but now i realise i was wrong) :(
Now I'm in year 12 and m doing alright in Standard, but i know how much ever i try i wont be able to get higher than a Band 4
I reallly want to move down to ESL, and i asked my english teacher before the holidays started if i could move down, she said no and walked away
She didnt give me a chance to explain anything to her
So what could i tell her? Am i really eligible for doing ESL? can i fight for it?
and I'm fine with ESL, cause the UNI i want to go to, accepts it
I know i have missed a term of ESL but i think i will be able to catch up
Could youse please give me any ideas of what to tell my english head teacher when the school starts so that she let me drop down to ESL? cause when i asked her she told me that my english was good enough but really i have just been studying english for 2 years
M soooo stressed! any ideas people?

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Well, our school doesn't offer any subject below Advanced English unfortunately so I wouldn't have that grasp of knowledge but I have family friends who go to other schools that have transitioned from standard to ESL English. (bearing in mind I'm only year 10, perhaps someone who has experienced this would be more relevant for you)

With those friends, I think many of them had asked their parents to confront their English head teacher and to tell them that they were more capable within ESL English. This is because the reality is, schools want you to perform highly to maximise their performance overall.

So in answer to your question, you're presented with 3 options to choose from.

A. Work HARD and ignore what others say about your performance and abilities in Standard English, even if you think you're the worst person there, ignore them and be your own cheer squad! Who cares if the people think you're not good in Standard, what matters is that you give it ALL your best for the HSC and dedicate to working for that band 6 goal. :)

B. If you're cynical about Standard English and not motivated, it is best then to confront your English department and tell thm directly that "I don't believe I have the capabilities for this course." Explain to them you want to perform better in school and plead for them to shift you to ESL English although I'm not thinking it's a good idea. (in my opinion)

C. If B doesn't work and the teachers ignore you, please ask one of your parents to confront them or perhaps you could talk to your school's career advisor for well... advice. Because she would obviously know much more in the field and she has experience that should guide you to performing your best.

Anyways, good luck and whatever you decide to go for, wish you the best :D Pm me if I you need something clarified but remember i'm only a yr 10 student so I'm not exactly experienced. ^^

ritikaisawesome

HSC
N/A
aww your so mature for a year 10 student lol
thank u sooo much, yeah your reply actually really made everything clear in my head
i'll go with Option B and C first (I've started to hate Standard with all my heart cause if it scales me down, i wont be able to get into my course)
but if nothing works, I'll have to go for A, and yeap thank u for the motivation! i'll try my best to do good in Standard if thats the only choice :)

such_such

HSC
^ I think Demento has it fully covered

In most schools, If you've been in Australia less than 4 or 5 years, they force you to do ESL. And it's very easy to move down, so you should go to the head teacher or get your parents to write a letter :)

aimpacc

HSC
in my school. 5 years or less is enough to get into ESL. and of course im glad to get awesome scalings next year ^_^ u mad bro?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)