Important Future Career Questions About LAW! (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi Everyone,

I really wish to get into UNSW law or otherwise some degree like B-Arts/B-Laws. I need some guidance and few pointers about 'getting in'.

I have heard that you have to strictly make each year's cut-off to make into the law course. What if you don't make that cut-off? Is there any other way to get into it? My principle said that people can get in without making the cutoff.

My preliminary results were average as I didn't really try hard and the worst mark I have achieved in my HSC so far (TERM 1), is about 55%.

I'm really worried that even if I will make into UNI with these marks but am aiming for law. What are some good pointers to achieve the highest possible score and ideally, make into law?

Is there any way that you can be regonised for hardwork in difficult chosen subjects perhaps? This is what I've been told and I really need some answers,

And one more thing, if anyone doesn't mind, what do you study in law?

mckensara

HSC
its concerning that you can't spell principal.

how far under are you?
your options are

a) do it at another uni - UTS, MAC, UWS (in that order)
b) depending on ATAR get a good GPA and then attempt a transfer

HSC
Talk about a confusing reply lol :)

I haven't done the HSC yet but am doing it in 2010. The worst I've performed is 54% in a Maths Exam, thats it.

Please enlighten me by what you mean when you say GPA? I understand transfer but what are the, if you like, 'success rates' of this happening?

By the way, your ATAR is incredible, congratulations! Any tips? Especially with note making, did you make notes from the syllabus or by textbooks :S

Thanks

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
It's still early in the HSC so it is still very possible for you to pick up the pace. My average school mark in yr 11 was in the 60s, and at the beginning of yr 12 it weren't much better, so work hard and things should work out for you...and yes, marks are scaled depending on your subject choice, in general, the harder the subject, the more favourable the scaling.

The cut-off is not strict, but you should still try to work towards it the best you can. I didn't make it to the cut-off but I got EAS points. There are many MANY other ways to get into law, such as transferring in second year where the competition ease a bit and you have the oppotunity to improve at uni. Or you can do graduate law after you complete a full bachelor degree, and this has its advantages.

leoyh

mic`
HSC
UNSW internal transfer is a great way imo, there are multiple threads on this forum about it, and you can also check out the relevant unsw webpages for more details. They look at a combination of your ATAR and first year uni results.

HSC
Thanks chewy123, you have certainly cleared up a great deal for me as I am currently in the same situation. I have no doubt that I will pick up the pace and that I will work really hard towards it.

Thanks everyone for explaining the internal transfer business and transitioning into the course I guess, but what is the EAS points and GPA?

If I'm not wrong, arent they region points which add towards your chosen preference. I think thats what it means :S

Monsterman

HSC
Thanks chewy123, you have certainly cleared up a great deal for me as I am currently in the same situation. I have no doubt that I will pick up the pace and that I will work really hard towards it.

Thanks everyone for explaining the internal transfer business and transitioning into the course I guess, but what is the EAS points and GPA?

If I'm not wrong, arent they region points which add towards your chosen preference. I think thats what it means :S
Educational Access Schemes (EAS) - UAC undergraduate website

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)