Importance of DNA (1 Viewer)

DrDream_Cardio

HSC
I need help with:
'the importance of DNA in inheritance'

- Does anyone know decent sites for this as well??

thanks.

zaxmacks

HSC
Wikipedia it. Though if you're going to reference, don't use it.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
I found this is a super-awesome site for learning about this topic:
DNA From The Beginning

DNA is of utmost importance to inheritance. Its basically the mechanism by which inheritance occurs. If its not there, inheritance doesn't work. Its ladder-like structure means it can easily be 'split in half' and then made into two new DNA molecules i.e replicated. This is important, since it means the genetic code can be reproduced exactly.

fullonoob

fail engrish? unpossible!
HSC
ehhhmm DNA also constitutes variation, increasing a species ability to survive. E.g. something kills off all the flies (YEEEAAHH :shoot:) , but some bitch ass fly lives, that fly becomes immune to the reagent (or poison) and then when it reproduces, its offspring are also immune to that virus. SO it can sustain life and bring about improvements within an organism or species.
DNA inheritence provides mostly the good features, and chucks away the those that are not suited for that environment (not always the case though). Bla bla bla...just merely allocates natural selection = survival of the fittest

sinophile

HSC
N/A
^ Dont listen to that guy, he makes no sense

fullonoob

HSC
^ Dont listen to that guy, he makes no sense
it does make sense :uhoh: DNA allows certain traits to be passed on from parent to offspring. Through selective breeding, the distinct units called genes are compiled into a range of nucleotides which is known as the genetic code. So essentially the importance of DNA inheritance passes on distinctive traits which can assist the body to survive or adapt i.e. size, shape, extra features
I KEEL YOU FLY ONE DAY :vcross:

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
DNA is important for inheritance because:
- It's fairly stable as a chemical, compared to something like RNA, which makes it good for storing genetic information over a long time

- It can be used to store information thru the arrangement of the bases (ATCG) and the genetic code

- The complementary base pairing rules (A-T, C-G) combined with the double-helix structure mean that a single strand can be used as a template to make a new strand, allowing genetic information to be passed to a daughter cell & between generations.

- It can be copied accurately, so information is not lost between generations.

As a side point... DNA is not a blueprint... the syllabus writers have NFI.

fullonoob

HSC
DNA is important for inheritance because:
- It's fairly stable as a chemical, compared to something like RNA, which makes it good for storing genetic information over a long time

- It can be used to store information thru the arrangement of the bases (ATCG) and the genetic code

- The complementary base pairing rules (A-T, C-G) combined with the double-helix structure mean that a single strand can be used as a template to make a new strand, allowing genetic information to be passed to a daughter cell & between generations.

- It can be copied accurately, so information is not lost between generations.

As a side point... DNA is not a blueprint... the syllabus writers have NFI.
yeah prove her wrong :D
my example was proness xDD
Simplification isnt that bad once in a while

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)