i'm really really screwed at chem (1 Viewer)

HSC
ok i know prelim marks doesn't go towards the hsc mark and the uai but goddammit it's hard to keep myself stable when i realised that everyone in my class pass and get like 80% and over and i got like 46% in the first inclass assessment task. does that give an indication that my further marks in chem wouldn't be so good considering half of the class are friggin smart and are able get top 10 while i'm somewhere near the bottom of the class when i'm trying to get to the top 10 let alone the top 5. am i screwed? am i able to improve in chem by the time the hsc starts in term 4 (like do well to get into the top 10 of the class) cos i really need to do this subject as a prerequisite for pharmacy. also does writing notes help to improve the ability in chem and is it neccessary to write notes for it now?
oh and what can i do to improve chemistry marks cos i tried reading from the txbook (contexts and pathways) and it hasn't been that helpful yet.

i'm really screwed:( :( :(

star87

chem.....

hey....look don't stress, ur only in ur prelim. well i understand y ur stressing but don't let it get 2 u. just try 2 change the way u study. with chemistry and every other subject just make sure you answer all the syllabus dot points when u make ur study notes that way u know when an assessment comes, u know all the info and when u r making ur study notes gather info from different textbooks and resources. im in my hsc right now & i think writing notes for chem & other subjects during prelim does make a difference bcoz it doesn't only allow u 2 get good marks in ur prelim assessments but it also kinda gets u ready 4 the hsc since alot of the stuff in the prelim course is the basis 4 wat u learn in the hsc.....so newayz i hope my advice would work out 4 u

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
hey there...calm down~...
it's true that yr 11 doesn't count, so u don't need to freak.
but that's what yr 11 is for.. for u to realise how much work u need to put in, what sort of study style u need to adopt, so u can prime it up b4 hsc yeah ^^

Do u understand what's going on in class? If you aren't keeping up with it (ie u have fully no idea what's going on) it's a pretty good indicator u should be putting in a little bit more work....a lil bit of time each night jus to review the day's work yeah?

everyone has different learning styles, and for some ppl (and i'm one of them) reading the textbook is just as effective as tearing out the pages and swallowing them. I found it really helpful to write my own notes, using different sources (pathways, conq, plus other ppls notes), then studying (learning) from my notes. try a number of styles until u find one that really suits you... my friend used to record his notes on tape, then walk roudn with headphones on all the time...

Another thing is, u should check ur syllabus... it is seriously ur ultimate guide. All the dotpoitns outline what you need to know, so u can go through them and check u can write beautiful answers on everything.

Also, have a read through the BoS verbs "describe, assess, outline" etc. There should be a list up somewhere, and each are really specific.. you coudl write a fantastic answer and get it completely wrong cuz u misinterpreted the question.

really do hope that helps... don't get too stressed about hsc as a whole... don't leave things till the last minute, and do keep up with the work, but don't get uber-stressed... not at this stage aiight? :)

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
i think if you've tried your uber best, and nothing takes a turn, then you might find getting a tutor will be for your best interest. as people have said above, its prelim and that this is a practice year for you. chemistry is a demadning course and really isnt easy. maybe you should discuss with your teacher what your weaknesses are and maybe they can help. at least they can pinpoint what you have done wrong/right and you can work on it from there.
if things dont work out when your half yearly exams come, i reccomend you get a private tutor now so that you can grasp foundations for HSC chem, and they are vital for HSC chem. make sure theyre private so that they give you attention for your needs. i sit in my chem tutor, which is a class, and watch new people come in and then leave because our tutor just cant simply pay attention to the one person and bring them to the same level as us.

HSC
sorry for reviving this thread but i couldn't bother making a new one for now.
just got my second assessment (half yearlies) for chem back and i got 38/58 (66%)...at least i pass :)
much much MUCH better but the ranking still sucks alot. over half of the class got in the eighties percentage. don't know about the other chem class but the highest is 100% for my chem class :mad: :mad1:. and the fifth highest is 88 percent!!!!!
but the test was so friggin hard. i only made 3 stupid mistakes but it doesn't make much difference. does tutoring help cos next month i'm getting chem tutoring and this better be good.
in conclusion am i'm still screwed no matter how much i improve cos most of my chem class are so friggin smart?

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
Just don't give up. I really sucked at prelim chem, and I basically gave up, and found no matter how hard I tried in the hsc course, I couldn't do it, because I didn't know the basics. The moral is, no, you are not screwed! Just make sure you know all the basics in prelim, and you'll be great by the time the hsc comes. Make your own notes according to the syllabus. Don't worry about how well the people in your class are doing. Concentrate on your own work, and you'll soon notice your rank will go up :). Also, don't be afraid to ask your teacher any questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)