I'm doing music 2 - composition for my elective (1 Viewer)

bahodl

Currently wearing pants
HSC
Hey every1 I'm doing music 2 and yeah composition's my elective. I'm just wondering where I could find some Australian music of the last 25 years for my core composition just so I can see some of the techniques and compositional devices etc.

Last edited:

sugared plum

HSC
go to the Australian Music Centre - it's 18 (?) Hickson Rd, The Rocks. you take a bus down George St, to Circular Quay, like a 431 or something, and that will take you into the rocks, and you just get off at the Hickson Rd turnoff and it's almost under the harbour bridge. or you can walk from circular quay train station.

you can listen to music there, look at scores, and you can also pay money and get a library card., and actually order scores/cds you really like.
it's good. i found excellent research material for musicology there

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
the people at the AMC are kinda bitchy though :D
but it IS useful though. good luck!

sugared plum

HSC
ohhh no they're not!

they just like you to respect their rules and procedures.

so get a little form to fill out, which tells them what you want, and maybe call before hand to tell them you're going.

parko

RN in 2007
HSC
AMC would be your best bet. Amazing resource they have there. I spent over 3 hours there one afternoon with my teacher and my 2 other classmates (who since dropped out on me!)

Kakadu by sculthorpe, Glasshouses by Leek, and probably something by Hindson (technologic is good) are good pieces to start with for aussie music. they have fairly obvious techniques like word painting, perf. directions etc etc (ive forgotten all of my research from last yr!)

the people at the library would be more than happy to help you, they're really knowledgeable for the HSC core/electives!

parko

RN in 2007
HSC
oh i forgot, if you do what sugared plum said and ring before hand, then the people there can find some pieces for you before you get there (if theyr enot busy that is) it'll save you a bit of time and you can concentrate on appreciating the music rather than trying to find it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)