Ideas For Critical Responses ?? (1 Viewer)

snowblack

bleh
HSC
Heyya class of 2004s
my idea for my critical response got knocked back cos it wasnt " academic" enough....any suggestions from pplz who've done it before?...wat was it like?...did ya guys get really sick of the research?....tell me ALL.... :p

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
my mate did a critical response on 'the other' and how it is presented
personally i can;t understand why anyone would do a critical response, though best of luck with it :)

snowblack

bleh
HSC
im doing a critical response because i don't have the creative energy to do short stories or poems....and i had the worst experience with films in advanced....technology stinks!!...and my strong point in english is analytical stuff so yea... :p

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
I did women in James Bond. There was some acadamic stuff behind it, but mostly it was an analysis of popular culture. That isn't as 'academic' as others in my class, but pop culture is fine.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
haha mine was on sex and buffy. twasn't that academic, you just need to find a token academic sounding phrase (mine was constantly referring to the whore/madonna binary) and you'll be find. ;)

no one can really tell you what to do. my idea is to think of something you enjoy. ie, i like watching buffy, i'm interested in it and so i picked an idea based on that.

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
i think the most important thing for doign a critical responce is concentrating on a topic u like - otherwise u arn't going to want to research it

because honestly after 6 months u do get to a stage where u think why the hell am i putting myself though this - and if u really liek the topic it makes it a little bit easier to keep going

whatever u do - DONT DONT DONT do something that other ppl want u to so - dont try and please ur teacher or anyone else - with mine my mentor got a bit over zealous and tried to add some freudian analysis into it which i hated and didn't understand (she had written her PhD on it or something) - i had to cut it out which meant i spent a coupel of weeks doing research on somethign that i hated and it really made working on E4 a bit tedious

as for sophistication anything can be written to sound sophisticated as long as u are beign critical about it. i dont c why they woudl say it wasn't sophisticated enought. I think someone at our school did one on picture books - morals or soemthign i dont knwo - but yeah

if u really like the idea - buggar what anyoen else says and do what u want
cause in the end it is u that has to spend the next 12 months or so workign on it not anyone else

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
one of my mum's students did hers on roald dahl and it was very sophisticated. more importantly, it was interesting to read. some of the ones in the showcase are incredibly sophisticated but boring as shit.

S

Sheehan :)

im thinkin of doin a response on the desensitisation of children today

Jezzabelle

i did mine on arguing that crime fiction was an import social genre and was not to be disregarded or disrespected as 'low fiction.'

its in the online showcase on the forum if ya wanna read it...

Its called "R.E.S.P.E.C.T!" (ref. to Aretha Franklin song...)

ptitsa

make me lose my buttons
HSC
I did a post-colonial analysis of the displaced males in Irvine Welsh's texts...my initial idea was something about feminism and advertisements, and then I went to just wanting to talk about communism, haha. and I only found what I wanted to do around April-ish (dont remember now!)
So there's plenty of time to work it all out...just muck around with a few ideas. Think about what interests you - what kind of movies you watch, books you read. It will click ;)

Will_Sparky said:
I did women in James Bond. There was some acadamic stuff behind it, but mostly it was an analysis of popular culture. That isn't as 'academic' as others in my class, but pop culture is fine.

now that's a cool topic :)

mibiony

"fully sick"
HSC
Well i did ext 2 and wrote a critical response and i think i spent about 90% of time doing research. What everyone has said so far is all valid. You really need to do something you enjoy doing and research because, honestly, my critical response was like my primary focus, i spent most of my time after school and during school working on it. It took away my spare and free time, i became so obssessed with it that i began to have no life... and in the end i changed my whole focus, but because of the extensive research that i had done i finished it just as well. I guess i 'kinda' got attached which is like the number 1 no-no rule in ext 2.

When i started my major work i never thought i would feel so satified and fulfilled at the end of it... my teachers saw the changes in me and my attitude towards Shakespeare change... (my critical response revolved around shakespeare) so yeh.. don't try and impress ur teachers or friends or family.. do something that u think u will feel proud of at the end of it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)