i need help in explaining the importance of the army during the ramesside period (1 Viewer)

tokenblackguy

HSC
help me plzzz, i can't find any info on the net, its for an assessment, gotta make a powerpoint presentation, could any list just some brief things the army did that was important.. thanks

btw we haven't learnt anything on the ramesside period in class, we get to choose a topic for the assessment and research it ourselves, and i chose army

X

xeuyrawp

tokenblackguy said:
help me plzzz, i can't find any info on the net, its for an assessment, gotta make a powerpoint presentation, could any list just some brief things the army did that was important.. thanks

btw we haven't learnt anything on the ramesside period in class, we get to choose a topic for the assessment and research it ourselves, and i chose army
That's a really difficult subject, considering there's a tonne you could use for "Politcal History", but not so much for "social history"...

I'll mention a few things, but get back to you with more in-depth ideas.

I'd mention:
- The army was a big employer. Unlike Greek armies, the Egyptians trained and fought all year round. They were paid, by the Pharaoh, a specific amount slightly above that paid to a state farmer. Paid in grain or bread.
- The army was full of lower-class Egyptians, slaves + stases (somewhere between a slave and a citizen), and (if the going got bad) hired foreigners.
- There is evidence to also show that, during late 18th Dynasty during Amenhotep III and Akhenaten's early reign, many army men worked as labourers, unskilled workers, and in primary industry; although this seems to not have happened in the Ramesside period- the army was a full time job.
- There were no such things as "barracks", although training grounds and fortresses have been found. It seems that the main settlements had their own little training grounds, with fortresses being also used to house, train, and keep men safe during warfare.
- It has been argued that soldiers paid for their armour and weapons, but this, I think, is dubious.

I can't think of anything further, so I'll get back to you tomorrow after I look at Kemp and Shaw for you.

tokenblackguy

HSC
actually i mite be able to change the topic to main features of architecture during ramesside period

X

xeuyrawp

tokenblackguy said:
actually i mite be able to change the topic to main features of architecture during ramesside period
Now that I could write an essay on.

X

xeuyrawp

tokenblackguy said:
any hints??
It's impossible to concisely help through a post. Add me to msn or something.

All I can really say is about necessary ideas:

RELIGIOUS ARCHITECTURE:

- Temples- formal/preformal,
- Cult centres,

FUNERARY ARCH:

- Tombs- facades, pillars, axis, etc
- Mortuary Temples,

SETTLEMENT ARCH:

- The pallace settlement,
- The workers settlement/village,
- Cult centre/dedicated religious settlements,
- Trade settlements,
- Industrial (primary and secondary settlements),
- Military settlements.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)