HSC VA Marking (1 Viewer)

zeroni

HSC
N/A
Had a question about the actual process of marking the HSC VA major works:

How many times is the major work actually marked, I'm kind of confused atm.
Also:
- Do the markers come to your school or do you have to send your BOW somewhere?
- Are the HSC markers the same each year for each school?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I know my school packs up the MWs each year and sends them to the BOS. I have also been in one of the animal sheds at Homebush with the MWs being marked there.

No you wouldn't have the same markers from one year to the next marking the one school as there are always new markers every year. The BOS has something like a 10% minimum turnover of markers annually.

I don't know how many markers would mark the MWs but I would assume two - the same as all over 10 mark responses - and where the two marks are discrepant then the SM or another marker would mark the work.

norwegianwood

HSC
i've been told that approx. 4 people each mark the work out of 50, and they just calculate the average of those scores.
not completely sure tho

zeroni

HSC
N/A
ah okay that makes sense, cheers :).
I have another question, If your bow idea happens to be really similar to, say another work that was featured in ArtXpress 3-5 years before your HSC year, will the markers notice/care?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
They may notice and they may even care but don't you have to have some sort of 'log' to explain the development of your MW? If so and you mention that you had been to Art/Express and/or were inspired by some previous work you should be covered.

They would be concerned if it was exactly the same but not if it was simply 'inspired by' - which is what many artists do in the 'real world'.

zeroni

HSC
N/A
Yeah, we do have to keep a VAPD (visual arts process diary) to document everything etc etc. I'm fine with that, but the problem is that I really want to do something really similar to this particular work that I saw. This is a link to the work, if you have any suggestions at all on how to make it "my own" it would honestly be appreciated

link to the work:
http://artexpress.artsunit.nsw.edu.au/GalleryTweed.html

If you keep scrolling down, the title is "Sum of All My Parts- A Self Portrait" , has a green sort of thumbnail. That's the one.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Yeah, we do have to keep a VAPD (visual arts process diary) to document everything etc etc. I'm fine with that, but the problem is that I really want to do something really similar to this particular work that I saw. This is a link to the work, if you have any suggestions at all on how to make it "my own" it would honestly be appreciated

link to the work:
http://artexpress.artsunit.nsw.edu.au/GalleryTweed.html

If you keep scrolling down, the title is "Sum of All My Parts- A Self Portrait" , has a green sort of thumbnail. That's the one.
What are you trying to do for your major work exactly?

zeroni

HSC
N/A
In terms of the technical side of the process: want to use sheets of perspex (like glass material) and paint on each one and when the sheets are placed in front of one another, a 3D sort of image is created, like the example in the link.

I just don't want to "copy" the idea that the student did in the link. So I guess I know what technical process I want to apply, but just need some advice/ help for the conceptual side of things and thinking of an idea :/

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Using perspex as a material is interesting! If you want to look less like the person's image, don't create a 3D image. Instead maybe create multiple images of the same thing, similar to a 3D image?

I often find coming up with a conceptual idea first is easier than finding a technical process because it informs my practise. I suggest you think about your conceptual idea before you get your practice idea.

Think of the things you're interested in and develop them into a conceptual idea. That's what I'm doing with my BoW and I have two ideas already. Good luck! :)

zeroni

HSC
N/A
hahaha yeah that makes sense, I'll start thinking of more ideas. Thanks for the help :)
Good luck for you BoW too!

norwegianwood

HSC
you can definitely do an artexpress-inspired work. lots of people do perspex and multi-layered elements like the above. a guy at my school last year did that sort of thing but it was different layers of individual photos printed onto separate pieces of perspex (hard to describe but it was super cool). just have a completely different concept and you'll be fine. you'll probably be surprised with how different your major work turns out compared to what you're planning now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)