HSC Marks (1 Viewer)

kevindebruyne

HSC
Are students usually able to predict their final HSC Marks accurately? Taking from things such as rankings, how your cohort found the exams, and your own performance? How common is it that totally unexpected marks come up, considering the complexity of the scaling/moderation process? And will this be more likely this year due to covid and other disruptions?

Thanks

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I believe this depends on the steps you take in an attempt to predict your HSC marks. If you are well aware of your rank across your subjects, how well students in your cohort believe they have performed in the HSC exams in addition how well you believe you performed in your own HSC exams, then you may possibly be on track to predicting the region in which your HSC marks could fall. While predicting HSC marks accurately is difficult (since you are technically working with possibilities), it probably is not impossible.

On a different note, when I completed my HSC, I predicted an Assessment Mark of 90 for Information Processes and Technology and this ended up being my actual Assessment Mark.

I hope this helps! :D

sammantha

HSC
If I have an average of 30% in Advanced maths and my rank is relatively low but I do really well in the HSC, would I be able to achieve a band 4 in maths?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
If I have an average of 30% in Advanced maths and my rank is relatively low but I do really well in the HSC, would I be able to achieve a band 4 in maths?
That should be possible. Your marks in your school-based assessment tasks/exams do not really matter since they are used for the sole purpose of determining your rank, which is the important element. Obviously, the lower your rank, the more difficult it will be to achieve an HSC mark in the band 4 range for Mathematics Advanced. However, as I mentioned, I think that you do have a chance of achieving an HSC mark in this range, especially if the moderation process works in your favour. While this is not something that you can control (due to factors beyond your control such as the performance of your peers), the effect it ends up having may be positive in terms of your Assessment Mark.

Of course, given that the HSC exam contributes 50% of your HSC mark, favourable performance in your Mathematics Advanced HSC exam will only serve to maximise your chances of achieving your goal and is thankfully an element that you can control.

Best of luck! 😄

sammantha

HSC
That should be possible. Your marks in your school-based assessment tasks/exams do not really matter since they are used for the sole purpose of determining your rank, which is the important element. Obviously, the lower your rank, the more difficult it will be to achieve an HSC mark in the band 4 range for Mathematics Advanced. However, as I mentioned, I think that you do have a chance of achieving an HSC mark in this range, especially if the moderation process works in your favour. While this is not something that you can control (due to factors beyond your control such as the performance of your peers), the effect it ends up having may be positive in terms of your Assessment Mark.

Of course, given that the HSC exam contributes 50% of your HSC mark, favourable performance in your Mathematics Advanced HSC exam will only serve to maximise your chances of achieving your goal and is thankfully an element that you can control.

Best of luck! 😄
THANKYOU!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)