How would you answer this industrial chem question?!? (1 Viewer)

pencilcase

HSC
HOW WOULD YOU ANSWER THIS QUESTION?
Please give me a bullet-proof answer for rubber.k thx.
the question is:

"name a natural product (i chose rubber),other than a fossil fuel, that you have researched. Discuss the issues caused by its decreasing availabilty, identifying replacement materials and/or current research taking place to produce alternatives using industrial processes."

thanks,best answer i will rep them :)

b3kh1t

HSC
Natural rubber (poly-cis-isoprene) comes form latex of the rubber three, this latex consists of a polymer formed from the monomer called isoprene {IUPAC name for isoprene is 2-metyl-1,3-butadiene}. The precipitation of the rubber parrticles from the latex produces an elastic and sticky substance. In 1839, Charles Goodyear found that by vulcanising (to cross-link the polymer chains with short sulfur chains) the natural rubber become non-sticky, yet it still had the desirable elasticity. This product was soon widely used in applications such as tyres, insulation and mattresses. This rubber production could not keep up with demand, especially for the vehicle industry, and in addition to the Japanese having control over most of the rubber growing regions in Asia during the World War II, a synthetic replacement was needed. Chemists developed synthetic rubbers of butadiene in the 1940s, and during 1955 Firestone and Goodyear discovered how to cheaply make synthetic poly-cis-isoprene using stereoregulating catalysts. The synthetic rubber is identical to natural rubber and makes up for any downfall in natural rubber production.

PS let me know if you want more information on the formation of the rubbers and such, I have a lot of information. Best of luck =D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)