how to tell whether the product is aqueous or not in chemical equations (1 Viewer)

Luukas.2

HSC
If there is water present, and the product is soluble, it will be aqueous.

eternallyboreduser

HSC
N/A
Sorry, but you need to know basic solubility rules
Oh cos peak didnt teach the solubility rules last lesson (we just started mod2 which started with diff types of chem eqns) so i thought there was another way to tell

HSC
so im assuming if something is placed into the acid on the reactants side e.g. a metal, then the acid would be aqueous ?
how would we know?
If that is the case then yea, it would be aqueous
It should say in the subscript unless the person who wrote the eq is hella annoying

Luukas.2

HSC
so im assuming if something is placed into the acid on the reactants side e.g. a metal, then the acid would be aqueous ?
how would we know?
I would refer to HCl (g) as hydrogen chloride or hydrogen chloride gas, whereas I would refer to HCl (aq), the acidic solution made by dissolving hydrogen chloride gas into water, as hydrochloric acid.

Similarly, HCN (g) = hydrogen cyanide, HCN (aq) = hydrocyanic acid.

For acidic substances that exist as solids at RT (in the absence of water), I would hope the question-writer would be careful. However, if a question says that 1.00 g of magnesium is placed into benzoic acid (say), I would take that as implying that the benzoic acid was present in an aqueous solution and not present as a crystalline solid or powder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)