How to study the syllabus? (1 Viewer)

moonsuyoung

HSC
Hi guys! I'm really confused on how I should study the economics syllabus? I've written notes for "students learn about," and memorised it but what am I supposed to do with the "students learn to?" Do I write notes on this as well? I'm really confused about how I should tackle this section of the syllabus. Could someone give me an example on how I should study topic 1 of prelim economics? thank you so much <3

Jane Mao

HSC
Lengthy short response questions and essay questions are almost always word for word from these "Student Learn To"s. You could prepare for them by pretending like they are questions and writing dot points on how you would answer.

Example:
Syllabus dot point: compare and contrast the ways that different economies deal with specific
problems or issues

Question: compare how Australia and ONE other economy deal with environmental sustainability

Answer:
- environmental sustainability refers maintaining a level of ecologically sustainable development....
- one way the Australian government targets this is by implementing...
- on the other hand, the Chinese government....

I've forgotten a lot from prelim econ but that's how you approach something in year 12 so it's good to learn.

Also are you trying to study ahead rn? I honestly would recommend saving your motivation and energy for year 12 but up to you :)

moonsuyoung

HSC
Lengthy short response questions and essay questions are almost always word for word from these "Student Learn To"s. You could prepare for them by pretending like they are questions and writing dot points on how you would answer.

Example:
Syllabus dot point: compare and contrast the ways that different economies deal with specific
problems or issues

Question: compare how Australia and ONE other economy deal with environmental sustainability

Answer:
- environmental sustainability refers maintaining a level of ecologically sustainable development....
- one way the Australian government targets this is by implementing...
- on the other hand, the Chinese government....

I've forgotten a lot from prelim econ but that's how you approach something in year 12 so it's good to learn.

Also are you trying to study ahead rn? I honestly would recommend saving your motivation and energy for year 12 but up to you :)
Thank you so much!!! Do you know where I could find example answers for this?

Jane Mao

HSC
There’s very limited resources available for prelims so probably your teacher, the workbook of whatever textbook you’re using or a tutor.
(Which is my time to promote myself lol, happy to take you through the course!)

ZakaryJayNicholls

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi guys! I'm really confused on how I should study the economics syllabus? I've written notes for "students learn about," and memorised it but what am I supposed to do with the "students learn to?" Do I write notes on this as well? I'm really confused about how I should tackle this section of the syllabus. Could someone give me an example on how I should study topic 1 of prelim economics? thank you so much <3
The HSC Economics syllabus is quite hard to find good resources for, a lot of economics is about reading and comprehending general ideas which then get applied to various aspects of our economy or the global economy.

There is a lot of overlap in economics resources, so the Prelim/HSC textbooks by Dixon and Mahony are fine, the IB Economics textbook by Tragakes is also an excellent supplementary text for the prelim/hsc course, some additional texts which may be used sparingly include Essentials of Economics by Mankiw gives you a good classical overview of how economics has functioned (this is also commonly used as a first year introductory microeconomics uni text so will go slightly beyond what is expected of a HSC student), and a text like Economics by Krugman and Wells gives you a good more modern overview of how economics is changing (this is also a commonly used first year uni text, but instead in introductory macroeconomics, and again gets a little difficult in some parts for a HSC student, so should only be used sparingly eg first few chapters/ignore the complicated math).

hubin

HSC
Best tip I could give for anyone studying HSC economics this yr is to read news articles with the goal of staying on top of current trends. Also it really helps being able to apply theory learnt in class to real world issues. On my way to school on the train I'd just read news articles before my friends came. Trust me, it really helps with the stats as well :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)