How Pedantic are the markers with fructose (1 Viewer)

maveric31

HSC
If your familar with fructose.. when you look at the 2 carbon atoms that both connect with the oxygen atom, one atoms connects with an OH and HOCH2 and the other with a H and CH2OH.
My question is what is the difference between HOCH2 and CH2OH?, the past paper anwsers and my text book both state it this way, but dont say why.

do the markers mind if we write them both out as CH2OH, or does it have to be HOCH2 and CH2OH and if so could somone plz explain why they are like this?
thank you

moonpie91

HSC
sorry, i dont have answer for ur question

but do we need to know and draw structual formulas for carbohydrates?

i have never come across any questions asking that specifically about structual formula of fructose or any carbohydrates.

The Nomad

HSC
Well I don't do this option, but I'm pretty sure it's because there's a bond between the 2 carbon atoms, and no bond between the carbon and hydrogen (in the hydroxyle group). Writing it that way just shows the marker you know which atoms are bonded together.

maveric31

HSC
"Sucrose is a disachharide. write an equation using structural formulae for the reaction of glucose and fructose to form sucrose"
and as we know sucrose is formed from alpha glucose and beta fructose..

brenton1987

HSC
N/A
If your familar with fructose.. when you look at the 2 carbon atoms that both connect with the oxygen atom, one atoms connects with an OH and HOCH2 and the other with a H and CH2OH.
My question is what is the difference between HOCH2 and CH2OH?, the past paper anwsers and my text book both state it this way, but dont say why.
There is really no difference but it shows the attachment of the atoms.

do the markers mind if we write them both out as CH2OH, or does it have to be HOCH2 and CH2OH and if so could somone plz explain why they are like this?
You would have to have them written to show the correct bonding of atoms. That means HOCH2 on the left and CH2OH on the right. Otherwise the bonding is wrong so the structure isnt fructose.

moonpie91

HSC
"Sucrose is a disachharide. write an equation using structural formulae for the reaction of glucose and fructose to form sucrose"
and as we know sucrose is formed from alpha glucose and beta fructose..
hey maveric31 is that question u wrote from an actual chemistry paper?

coz i dont see any dotpoint about structural formula of sucrose in the syllabus

Last edited:

maveric31

HSC
i've found it in the success one HSC chemistry section for just forensic chemistry, i havent found it in any HSC past exams, but i was told by my teacher that we should know the structure plus he put it in my trial.. i think he is or was a chem marker.. but im not 100 percent sure if we should know it or not... im only going by what he told me.

we0426

Banned
HSC
i've found it in the success one HSC chemistry section for just forensic chemistry, i havent found it in any HSC past exams, but i was told by my teacher that we should know the structure plus he put it in my trial.. i think he is or was a chem marker.. but im not 100 percent sure if we should know it or not... im only going by what he told me.

hey u should write like CH2OH.. if u look at how we write ethanol..C2H5OH..U SEE WHAT I MEAN..

THIS OPTION IS COOL BUT SO MUCH TO REMEMBER FOR PRACS GOD..ANY WAYS MATEE MY TEACHER WHO WAS A MACQUARI UNI LECTURERR TOLD US TO WRITE LIKE THAT.. i hope my life story helped u in any shape or form...:)

brenton1987

HSC
N/A
hey u should write like CH2OH.. if u look at how we write ethanol..C2H5OH..U SEE WHAT I MEAN..
They are not equivalent ways of writing formulae.

To make your point it should have been ethanol as CH3CH2OH because it shows how the atoms are attached to eachother.

we0426

Banned
HSC
They are not equivalent ways of writing formulae.

To make your point it should have been ethanol as CH3CH2OH because it shows how the atoms are attached to eachother.
nah i can bet u that they way u write is accepted but its not the right way..i swear to god i lost 4 marks on a 8 marker coz i wrote ethanol like the way u wrote it..if u see fermentation reaction and esterfication u would no what i mean....BUT ITS UP TO U MY FRIEND I AINT SOME ONE TO CHANGE SOME ONES MINd FRANKLY ITS JUST MY 2 CENTS worth....so its all up to u....:rofl:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)