How much is too much? What is a suitable amount of time to study for? (1 Viewer)

How long do you study?

• Total voters

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
I always hear about people who study for long periods at any one time. So i have come to ask how much is too much? As in what would be a reasonable amount of time to study each day, such that you it is enough to cover all the main concepts of the topic. Thanks.

Last edited:

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
By "study", do you mean homework, working on assignments and reviewing work done in class? If so, 3 hours a day is expected. If you're referring JUST to the regular review of work and not homework or assignments, I'd say half an hour. But this increases depending on the time of year etc.

HSC
I'd say 3-4 hrs a day like Dagwoman said...if you are talking about homework and assignments and regular stuff like that...during the weekdays.

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, by 'Study' i meant like revision. So Half an hour is good each day for each subject? Cause thats how much i am doing now.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
The amount of study, what you study, how you study and how much you can learn and retain varies so much between students the time needed to study is almost not compariable.

The amount you study and when you study will likely fluctuate throughout the year probably going from only a 1 or 2 hours to 3+ hours when approaching exam periods and then decrease during high assessment periods, unless they are exams of course.

The main thing with study is make it practical (doable) and make it work for you. Not one study method will work for every student so you have to find exactly what works for you and how many hours of study you need.

A lot of this advice is repeat every single year because lets face it we usually only learn through making our own mistakes that is why it's easy to give advice in hindsight. Also know what study and homework\assessment work is.

Try not to burn out and have a realistic reason to study, goals and study plan - be that a timetable, list etc. Don't forget to reward yourself for a good amount of study\things leant.

Dark Phoenix

HSC
on a school day i usually do 3 - 4 hours worth of study but on the last school holidays i like studied for 6 - 7 hours a day. and 1 hour for each session of study. but usually u should take a break when YOU know u r tired

L

littlewing69

During normal time, maybe a couple of hours work tops. During assessment periods, as many hours as possible, and a couple of all-nighters...for exams...well...up to 12 hours a day I was hitting. Not much of that was terribly productive though.

SomaFairy

HSC
N/A
I used to do hw/ parts of assignments up until 8:00 or 8:30 and then I would study until 2am, although not much was really done because of distractions. By the time the HSC was nearing, I found myself studying less because I was prepared for it :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)