How Much Do U Think Well Get Scaled Up? (1 Viewer)

Yaz88

CEO
HSC
hey guys???
wot u think wuld be the band 5 n 4 cut offs how much do u rekon ppl wuld get scaled up...

looking at another post it said that the raw mark for 2003 got scaled like 25marks!!!!!!!!!!!! personally 2005 waz harder den 2003

anywaz post wot u think?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
i think band 4 would prob be 55/120
band 5 72/120
band 6 90/120

[Damo]

HSC
methinks 92ish/120 will get band 6 easy..
i rekn 100/120.. bout 93% aligned HSC mark

jbo69

HSC
scaling

i heard that if you get a raw exam marks between 70/120 - 80/120 it gets scaled up to a low band 6, that the scaling on ur mark, gets affected aswell on how well your class went, that the higher the class average, the higher you get scaled up.
the scaling process is weird!!! though if you get a raw mark of 90/120 u are like probly goin to get high band 6

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
well considering thart this years exam is considerably harder than last years then for a 93% aligned mark it should be in the high 90s

Yaz88

CEO
HSC
I doubt 70ish/120 will get low band 6 dude thats like 40marks awarded..

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
Juju15 said:
hey guys???
wot u think wuld be the band 5 n 4 cut offs how much do u rekon ppl wuld get scaled up...

looking at another post it said that the raw mark for 2003 got scaled like 25marks!!!!!!!!!!!! personally 2005 waz harder den 2003

anywaz post wot u think?
we must remember that the raw mark band cut-offs are pre-determined by the Board of Studies, so the scaled exam mark we get will no reflect the performance of the state, but rather how the Board thought everybody should of went.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
i agree meads. everyone is getting in over their heads. you aint gonna get 85% with a 75/120.....please!

it all depends on how the exam was and how the board thought it was. if everyone, and i mean everyone did really crap, then they just might pull us up to make the state look good..that's all. but the fact of the matter is, many people did excellently well.

phil2005

HSC
rnitya_25 said:
i agree meads. everyone is getting in over their heads. you aint gonna get 85% with a 75/120.....please!

it all depends on how the exam was and how the board thought it was. if everyone, and i mean everyone did really crap, then they just might pull us up to make the state look good..that's all. but the fact of the matter is, many people did excellently well.
Why is 75/120 alligning to an 85 so far fetched? In 2003, according to the Raw marks obtained by FOI, a 73/120 alligned to an 82 - there's actually no real reason to it couldn't be the case. It just depends on how hard the board thinks it is in comparison to the standards set.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
but that's the point. the exam would not have been hard in the eyes of the board. which is why our year won't get as well scaled. also, i just find it hard to believe that a 75/120(63%) and pull someone upto 85%. i do think it is far fetched. but if that is the case, then im more than happy, im ecstatic!!!!!!

xiep

HSC
Realistically speaking, it's only the last 24 marks that were hard. Every year in the 2U exam the final 12 marks are used to seperate the top 5% from the rest. So it's only reasonable to say that we are getting scaled up around 5~10% (6-12 marks.)

This test was hard, but not that hard. :(

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
rnitya_25 said:
but that's the point. the exam would not have been hard in the eyes of the board. which is why our year won't get as well scaled. also, i just find it hard to believe that a 75/120(63%) and pull someone upto 85%. i do think it is far fetched. but if that is the case, then im more than happy, im ecstatic!!!!!!
yeh, I agree , it doesnt sound all too convincing, but i have no reason to believe it not to be true

everyone that did the 2003 HSC exam, was overwhelmingly surprised when the results came out

my cousin who thought she either failed or got a near pass, ended up with 68%

alot of ppl actually got a mark way higher than they expected in 2003. Personally I found 2003 to be quite normal, the only questions I think were difficult in 2003 were 9(b) and 10 (b)..everything else was pritty straighforward, and yes!... a little challenging but nothing out of the ordinary

as for 2005... i will say its pritty much the same standard as any other year, same style of questions, similar concepts etc etc....

however, 2005 was wordy and I felt it was very long compared to any other exam ive ever sat. A friend of mine has never sat the entire 3 hours in a maths exam, the max was 2.5 hours... and i mean EVER.. since yr 10, this year he was working until the supervisor said "pens down"...and he's a pritty bright maths student, doing 3 unit also.

So yes! I agree it was longer, but not much harder, q10 was way easier than previous yrs... except for 10b which consisted of too much reading, which i didnt have time to "READ"...

Maybe a little diffciult, but it was longer more so than being difficult

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnyways...

sorry for the rambling... (feel free to argue, its just my honest opinion)

as to the point of this thread

thats why i created this thread

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=90215

post ur marks, maybe then U GUYS can tell us what the cut off was... it wont be hard to determine, but so far its only looking like were gonna be able to determine the band 6 cut off, even if we dont determine the cut offs, it'll be soo intresting to see how high the marks go aligned!

personally

band 5 (80%) ... about ~75/100

band 6 (90%)... about ~95/100

seeeeeeeee ya guys.. and good luck to those still doing exams, all the best!

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
physician i agree with you too....hehe.

scaling does help alot, a guy who did his hsc last year told me he came out of the maths 2unit exam room after completing only 3 questions out of 10, he ended up with a 63

HSC
95-120, this year will get much higher than 90, i'd say about 87-90 will be band 6, however to get the high band 6's will take about 100 and above. this was a hard paper, not the questions being so hard but the time, they took a long time to do, normally i could do the first 8 questions in about a hour and 45 minutes, that way i'd have a while to think about the last 2, this time i did it in an 2 hours and 30 minutes, didn't bother doing the last 2 and went over some questions i had skipped before.

MeehShanku

MeehShankU
HSC
rnitya_25 said:
it all depends on how the exam was and how the board thought it was.
No ur wrong. so wat ur sayin is that if BOS thought it was fair n the HIGHEST mark was (lets say) 88/120 (73%) then u say they would not get a band 6/ 100% aligned??

the hsc is lik a race. (say 100m sprint). lets say last yr was some1 that came first n ran 10sec flat. n this yr som1 ran 11secs n came first. u sayin they aint gona get 100% aligned???

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
MeehShanku said:
No ur wrong. so wat ur sayin is that if BOS thought it was fair n the HIGHEST mark was (lets say) 88/120 (73%) then u say they would not get a band 6/ 100% aligned??

the hsc is lik a race. (say 100m sprint). lets say last yr was some1 that came first n ran 10sec flat. n this yr som1 ran 11secs n came first. u sayin they aint gona get 100% aligned???
look at it in terms of the Olympics and world records!

yes! he came 1st but did he beat the 10 s record? No!... thus why should his 11 s be equivalent to the 10s

by the way the highest exam will not be 88/120 (well obviously)... and there will be quite a high percentage of marks above 90+/100 raw... in fact there will be quite a high percentage with 100+/120 raw...

by the way, BOS has been making exams for quite some time, and if anyone, the BOS can make a fair assessment of whether a test is a "fair" test or a "hard" test ...theres no need to worry!

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Aligning - like said above, up to bos, they pre-determine the raw marks needed for bands based on how difficult they think it is

Scaling - doesnt matter about how hard it is, scaling depends on how the candidature of 2 unit maths did overall in all their subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)