How many of Donne's poems should we thoroughly know? (1 Viewer)

planino

HSC
There are 9 (!!!) poems altogether, and I seriously hope they don't specify. One of our teachers said that Donne's poems can be treated as a single text, so does this mean that they won't specify specific poems (just like they can't specify Act 2 Scene 1 of As You Like It for AOS without providing an extract) ?

How many poems would you guys recommend thoroughly knowing? Looking at all 9 in detail seems too time consuming.

JJ345

HSC
N/A
Doing all 9 is probably not the best way to go, considering your analysis will be too shallow.
I'd say 3-4 is more than enough.... and i'm pretty sure that they can specify :(

planino

HSC
They can ask for three poems like they did in our trial. I really don't want them to specify :( :(

ocatal

HSC
I think it would be best to have a brief understanding of all poems (with quotes and techniques) in case they do specify. Apart from that, have your deep analysis on 3-4 poems, making sure that they are from different categories (i.e. Holy sonnet or non-Holy sonnet) so that you can adapt to a range of questions. Although they've never specified before, it is very possible for them to do so.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Yolo. Brah.

Im not wasting my memory space. I already have 5 out of the 7 speeches written up in mod B.

TylahJane

HSC
I am doing 2. But I am going to memorize 2 quotes from the other ones just in case they specify.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
2 poems. Hymne to God and Poysonous Mineralls are my best ones.

I would probably mention Playes Last Scene OR Valediction in passing. Death Be Not Proud is probably going to be used by everyone.

Imagine they specified Apparition ahahaha

Specifying poems in this would be evil, considering that not all of them connect to W;t too well, I think there are 4, maybe 5 that connect well. Them being Hymne to God, Poysonous Mineralls, Death Be Not Proud, Playes Last Scene and MAYBE Valediction (expanseeon).

planino

HSC
Apparition LOL, that's actually my fave one :) It relates to almost nothing though, so I'm not going to look into it too much. I really like the 4 poem detailed study + 2 quotes from remaining idea.

LOVE the speeches in Mod B lol (except Deane and Pearson)

Emelyn

HSC
Uni Grad
I was told from a HSC marker: Know 2 poems really well or 3 poems well.

I'll be doing Hymn to God, A Valediction and Playes Last Scene :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)