How does my school influence my UAI? (1 Viewer)

m_isk

HSC
N/A
At school, we are constantly being drilled with the idea that we all affect each other's UAI's and that we should all be helping each other. My school is not that good, so i wanna ask, will someone from sydney grammar/boys/(nsert top 10 school) with the same marks as me get a better UAI?? How do my classmates affect me?? btw lets assume that i come first in every subject i do both internally and externally :p

A l

HSC
N/A
Regardless of what specific marks you get, you should be working equally hard if not more in your school assessments as well as your external assessments. If they are both significantly different (after being moderated) then it would affect your overall ranking. The more people you beat, the more likely your UAI would rise.

After marks have been moderated in accordance to rankings and examination marks, if your combined HSC mark is the same as one from another school, you would not be disadvantaged nor would that person be at an advantage for that course. If you have the same mdoerated assessment mark as someone else, then the external examination would determine the final rankings.

For an individual school, if the school's assessment average is higher than the school's examination average then the assessment marks are likely to be pulled down. If the school's assessment average is lower than than the school's examination average then the assessment marks are likely to be pulled up.

So basically moderating takes care of any disadvantages or advantages other schools may have over others. If assessment marks are too high overall compared to the examination mark, then they'll be reduced. If assessments marks are too low overall compared to the examination mark, then they'll be increased. Moderating heavily depends on the school's performance in the external examination.

Remember, the more people you beat the higher your UAI is likely to be. Your school probably wants you to help each other to try to maximise everyone's UAI. Ranking matters when trying to calculate the UAI.

m_isk

HSC
N/A
hey thanks very much!! just one more thing...my physics teacher is giving everyone ridiculusly high marks in our assessments (i think the highest is bout 97 and the lowest is ~60). THerefore, our assessment average will be much higher than our hsc average. SO for the dude coming first (and let's assume that he gets 97 with internally and externally) will he be pulled down??

A l

HSC
N/A
No, he wouldn't. If the top external examination mark in the school for that course is 97 and the top raw assessment mark for that course in that school is 97, then his final HSC mark would be 97. However, if he does not maintain his first place in the school with his external examination and someone in his school beats him in the external examination then he might be pulled down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)