how does illness/misadventure work ? (1 Viewer)

lanamariie

HSC
hey how does the illlness/misadventure work exactly..

Im really scared about whats going to happen.. My grandmother passed away a few days ago and every since i havent been able to focus on exams and studying.. I have had 4 exams this week, the two english plus eco and bio and on monday i have 2Unit math, my last exam is CAFS on the 7th of nov.. When i found out I spoke to my coordinator and she told me to fill out the form and to do it for every exam i have coming up,, I found out after my second english paper so its from eco onwards.. I gave the paper to the presiding officer and she did her part, I was fine in eco because it didnt hit me yet.. but this whole weekend its been hard and i cant concentrate,, ive been crying myself to sleep for days and i really cant concentrate.. maths is going to be so bad and hard for me to do .. i really wish i dont have to do it .. i was able to get 3 certificates as evidence for my grandmothers passing, from the church, the hospital and the funeral .. but im confused about the form .. I know that if is upheld than they work out the marks blah blah and see whas best for me,, but say with maths, i worked out how much my internals are like from the assignments and tests and stuff and it was 79, but this is obviously not the aligned mark and all .. if the illness form was upheld does that mean i get 79 instead of the exam mark if i dont do well and whats expected off me ?

please explain this to me ..

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If it is upheld you will get the best of your exam mark or your assessment mark - whichever is best for you.

Now your school sent in a mark of 79. I will assume that your school marks relatively conservatively like most do. Now you haven't said how far behind first that 79 was but assuming it was say 10 marks this is what will happen. If the top mark ends up at 95 your assessment mark will move to the 85 - 87 range. Now if your aligned exam mark you would get a better result than that you will get the exam mark and that assessment mark with an average of the two as your final mark but if your exam mark would see your final mark go lower than that then this will become your final mark. You really do want the top student to do really really well - but then everyone in your class does as well.

Remember that the mark the school sends in is aligned as well as the exam so the school's internal mark will be aligned either with the rest of the cohort or taken out of the calculations and then assigned an appropriate mark. e.g. say you are two marks behind the person in front of you and two marks ahead of the person behind you then you will end up in between those two as well.

I understand your pain (really do - my neice had this same situation when she was doing her HSC and my mother passed away) but the best advice I was able to give her and you is to trust the BOS to give you the marks that are best for you.

Try your best and remember that the system will work for you and reward you according to either your exam mark or your school mark - whichever is best for you - that is why the system is there.

Last edited:

lanamariie

HSC
If it is upheld you will get the best of your exam mark or your assessment mark - whichever is best for you.

Now your school sent in a mark of 79. I will assume that your school marks relatively conservatively like most do. Now you haven't said how far behind first that 79 was but assuming it was say 10 marks this is what will happen. If the top mark ends up at 95 your assessment mark will move to the 85 - 87 range. Now if your aligned exam mark you would get a better result than that you will get the exam mark and that assessment mark with an average of the two as your final mark but if your exam mark would see your final mark go lower than that then this will become your final mark. You really do want the top student to do really really well - but then everyone in your class does as well.

Remember that the mark the school sends in is aligned as well as the exam so the school's internal mark will be aligned either with the rest of the cohort or taken out of the calculations and then assigned an appropriate mark. e.g. say you are two marks behind the person in front of you and two marks ahead of the person behind you then you will end up in between those two as well.

I understand your pain (really do - my neice had this same situation when she was doing her HSC and my mother passed away) but the best advice I was able to give her and you is to trust the BOS to give you the marks that are best for you.

Try your best and remember that the system will work for you and reward you according to either your exam mark or your school mark - whichever is best for you - that is why the system is there.
hey thanks for that .. Im ranked first in my class, and there isnt many people, just a few.. so yeah

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You previously started a thread at
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=293137

Was it really necessary to start another thread and have the discussion all over again?

When a person is grieving they do sometimes need reassurance a number of times and that is clearly the case here.

I have no problem with Lanamariie having this discussion 20 times if it helps at this time and as I am the one mainly replying I don't think it is that big a deal.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Sorry, I did not realise this was a competition.
Have you had a family member pass away and then done a few things that you wouldn't usually? Because I sure have so I wouldn't be such a dick if I were you.

Aaron6693

HSC
Sorry, I did not realise this was a competition.
I agree with Riproot.

Besides, it wasnt even suggested that this was a competition...stop reading into things just because you've been called out on your ignorance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)