How do u assess how effective a source "might have been"????? (1 Viewer)

Manan

HSC
Hey guys,
Ive got a modern assessment to complete on source analysis and one of the questions asks us to "assess how effective a source might have been"??? Every source "might" have been effective, how would u comment on that???

Thanks,

rama_v

HSC
It depends on what the source was. I suppose if you are looking at a propaganda poster you would have to consider the atitudes of teh people at the time, the policies of the government, the social/economic conditions etc.

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
This is possibly the easiest MH question you will get, provided you understand what it is asking.

In all the exams i faced, i loved this question.
BASICALLY
Look at what it is.
- photo
- diary entry
- newspaper article
- transcript of a conversation

Whatever the source is, ask yourself "Who is the intended audience?" and once you know that ask yourself "What does it aim to do?"
Sources that are edited provide the historian with an IMPERFECT source.
Sources that contain bias provide the historian with an IMPERFECT source.
"Imperfect evidence, Imperfect History" - Vincent, John (An Intelligent Person's Guide to History)
(e.g. a cropped photo of a pro war demonstration may cut out a group of peace marchers... ergo all you see is a photo of pro war people... therefore you may assume that the general opinion was pro-war and not, in fact, divided. A newspaper article from the time may be bound by certain laws [e.g. DORA]. Memiors (spelling?) may include falsified and/or not include true memories due to the passage of time. Diary entries may be the most honest source you'll find... but they're often full of emotion. Understand?)

Compare sources under the above guidelines and reach your conclusion.
If you write the who, what, where, when and how down and then compare, contrast and provide your own reading.... you cannot really go wrong.

No brainer, an easy 9-10 marks.

The rep button is the scales near the online/offline indicator... so you know.
If you find this useful, click it and tell me how great i am.

Manan

HSC
right then...cool, thanks guys, and sorry for the late reply:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)