N/A
nah mucous and cilia are separate, theyre in their own categories

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
theres like skin, cilia, mucous, body secretions, chemical barriers

zingerburger

HSC
The way I know it, body secretions and chemical barriers are pretty much the same thing. Secretions such as saliva or gastric acid are both body secretions as well as being chemically deadly to bacteria and other pathogens.

brittle89

HSC
Buiboi said:
Chemical barriers and body secretions: whats athe freakign difference!!!:burn:
heyooo; i guess they kinda overlap.. this is the info i have on that stuff

chemical barriers :
Stomach's acidic environment/ helps to destroy micro organisms which are accidentally ingested.
Body secretions can include :

Tears- flush foreign matter from the eye/ which prevents micro organisms settling in the eye
Saliva--washes micro organisms from the mouth into the stomach where they can be destroyed by digestive enzymes
Urine-sterile acidic fluid/ helps wash out any micro organisms which are present in the Urethra.
Micro-flora-provides non-specific defence against foreign matter. For example bacteria in certain parts of the body; likkkkkkkkkkkke VAGINA- keep fungal growths in balance.( if imbalanced--> can result in thrush)

:)

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
brittle89 said:
heyooo; i guess they kinda overlap.. this is the info i have on that stuff

chemical barriers :
Stomach's acidic environment/ helps to destroy micro organisms which are accidentally ingested.
Body secretions can include :

Tears- flush foreign matter from the eye/ which prevents micro organisms settling in the eye
Saliva--washes micro organisms from the mouth into the stomach where they can be destroyed by digestive enzymes
Urine-sterile acidic fluid/ helps wash out any micro organisms which are present in the Urethra.
Micro-flora-provides non-specific defence against foreign matter. For example bacteria in certain parts of the body; likkkkkkkkkkkke VAGINA- keep fungal growths in balance.( if imbalanced--> can result in thrush)

:)
hmmmm...so the distinction between them could be perhapps that chemical barriers are internal whereas secretions are more of an external thing?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Buiboi said:
hmmmm...so the distinction between them could be perhapps that chemical barriers are internal whereas secretions are more of an external thing?
No. it is not very appropriate to separate chemical barriers as "external" and "internal".

You might be a little bit confused as to what the exact definitions of chemical barriers and secretions are. Chemical barriers are a defense mechanism used by the body to non-specifically prevent the invasion by foreign substances, which can INCLUDE body secretions (tears, mucus, saliva, stomach acid, bile, and urine). So secretions are a TYPE of chemical barrier.

PakMaN1212

Anzerk
HSC
hey sup.. dis is lyk my 1st post.. hope it helps. dis is my info on chemical barriers and body secretions

Chemical Barriers- stomach is highly acidic which kills most pathogens that are swallowed with food, or in mucus. Urinary and reproductive openings are mildly acidic, enough to inhibit the growth of many microbes.

Body Secretions- Tears and saliva contain an anti-bacterial enzyme 'lysozyme' which kills microbes and washes them away. :)

Felix Jones

HSC
chemical barriers are those that are present all the time..e.g the stomach acid, or the alkaline environment in ur intestines.

secretions are the materials (liquids) that are secreted in response to pathogens or they help eliminate them periodically....e.g. tears, when ur get something in ur eyes, urine which is sterile and helps clean the urinary tract.

but i may off a bit, please feel free to correct me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)