Historical Works (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
The long break is upon us... Any ideas for a decent historical text, especially one that can lead on to other interesting areas?

I've been trying to find a decent book on the Arthurian Legends and the like, although there is little out there that seems to cover this aspect (the current lot of books all propose a 'truth' rather than just recount the stories). So far I have settled on Joan of Arc and British history in general, although they are poor alternatives.

This isn't really discussing a good read as such, but this seems like the best place to get ideas.

Thanks

Last edited:

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Maybe try 'Mein Kampf' by Adolf Hitler. He wrote it while he was in prison and I haven't read it yet, but i'm sure he goes into his "ideas" for the Nazi party, the Jews and the like.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
generator, wanna check out my other thread and see what you like? ;)

sugared plum

HSC
Ohhh I couldn't read Mein Kampf: it's just nonsense babble. He just talks about expansion, and how the Jews are the blame for economic crisis blah blah. "Ravings of a lunatic".

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Yeah, but it's an insight into his ideas and why he thought the way he did. It's a historical work that leads to another interesting area of learning, WWII, which is what Generator asked for.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I love the book Wild Swans... I love real stories and I think it gives a really good insight into china's history and cultural revolution and stuff. I really enjoyed it.

arls

Id like to read a book on JFK, after studying this in 3 unit history i was amazed to hear about how he had pot and cocaine parties with his exclusive group and how he really was not the glamorous man he appeared to be to the public.. he also had addisons disease which the public didnt really know about and he was really sick.. furthermore theres all those affairs he had with Marylon Munroe and others..

so maybe one of the revisionist books on Kennedy like "The Dark side of Camelot".. fogotten who its by... im not very good with authors! but it would be an interesting read.

arls

Oh another goody that ive been wanting to read for agggessss..
The Bronze Horseman.. by (i know this author!!) Paulina Simmons.

For anyone who doesnt know her books, Simmons is the most fantastic writer! I loved "Eleven Hours" - so exciting and gripping "Red Leaves" - fantastic crime fiction so twisted its not funny... (and i usually dont like crime fiction!) or "Tully" - a fictional biography (if thats possible) little bit strange but characterisation is vivid and unique, another fabulous book according to me!

Whoops.. im in the wrong thread now! Didnt mean to do that.. The Bronze Horseman is TRUELY an historical text about the Russian royal family in that intriguing period of ww2. one of my friends has read it and says its fantastic. so yeah..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)