Hey forum, help me with this obvious quadratics question that's busting my head anyway? (1 Viewer)

BrokenHourglass

HSC
This question right here.
I know the answer is D.
The marking guidelines didn't say anything else.
I have no idea where the 33 and 4 came from, nor do I know how to get the x on the other side.
I feel confident in maths until I get to the point where all four of the multiple choice options confuse me and I feel like selling everything I own and joining the army.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
I know the answer is D.
I have no idea where the 33 and 4 came from, nor do I know how to get the x on the other side.
I feel confident in maths until I get to the point where all four of the multiple choice options confuse me and I feel like selling everything I own and joining the army.
It's just the quadratic formula

where b=-5, a=2, c=-1

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
In a MCQ like this, you can test each answer with a calculator as a way to find which is true.

For example, (A) has

Now, try on of these in the given equation,

So, (A) can't be the solution.

Using the quadratic formula to actually find the solution is preferable, but this method (or even finding the value without a calculator) is an option as a fall-back approach for an MCQ.

Constantspy977

sensational
HSC
I know the answer is D.
bruh I go pre uni, and I had the exact same question on our term test

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)