Herculaneum Conservation Project (1 Viewer)

~Fire Jade~

HSC
The Herculaneum Conservation Project:
Can anybody tell me what it is? And provide me examples of artifacts and primary/ secondary sources or somewhat?
Help....really not getting this...what is it all about? ><
Anyone?
:lol:

HSC
it's a project that's concerned with conservation and preservation of the site and is many artefacts, which can fall into the category of methods of investigation...

there aren't any artefacts/sources because it's a modern initiative, but basically they realised that maintenance programs were failing and started the herculaneum conservation project. There are a few archaeologists involved, and there are quite a few things that have been done:

1. consolidation of structures ensuring buildings remain standing, allowing for further conservation-restoration work - M Castaldi

2. methods used on Insula Orientalis I, which is a single urban block of 3 houses, and the Suburban Baths to prevent rainwater damage; water pools rather than flows away because of drainage problems. solutions: roofs erected (temporary only, more permanent ones needed later), studies by water engineers have adapted ancient drainage measures to combat the modern problem

3. scientific research - a conservation scientist called G Torraca is trying to understand the processes undergone by plaster, wood, metal features etc to find out how to best conserve them.

does that seem like what you're after?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)