Help (1 Viewer)

sevenpuddings

HSC
Hi,
this may seem like the stupidest question on the planet, but what is the word limit for poetry? I cant find the syllabus with the word limits. can anyone out there help me?

BTW, do you think its scary chosing poetry? it wasn't my original choice, but its growing on me. However, for all i know, it could be swapped again.

Thanks

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
i'm fairly confident the limit is 5000 words for the poems and reflection statement combined. The reflection statement itself can be 1000 words min. and 1500 words max. so i guess that means 3500 to 4000 words of poems.

but yeah, poetry is a pretty awesome medium, i find it really enjoyable because ur not tied down to only a couple of stories of a single analysis or a single script or video, you can just write as many poems as you feel like, when you feel like, so it's really relaxing and enjoyable :D

Last edited:

rific

HSC
When I did this sub (a couple years ago, but I imagine the rules haven't changed too much), the word limit for poetry was fairly loose, it was assessed more on the quality of the selection of works. So long as you don't submit something that is staggeringly short you should do fine length wise, but yeah, probably check with BoS or your english teacher.

last_chance, is it going to be all poetry or a short story written in two complementary forms (prose and poetry)? If it's all poetry, than it would probably be read as poetry,and so follow those rules. If it's the other way, follow short story guidelines. Pretty much it depends on which category you want to eventually submit it under. Just make sure and reflect on the final medium you choose and how it seemed more appropriate to your story.

rific

HSC
Sounds like you should probably follow the poetry guidelines. Despite the cross-style structuring it is still poetry, just with an individual stylistic approach.

It sounds like an interesting concept, and good luck getting poetry back into mainstream popularity, it's definately about time it peaked again.

sevenpuddings

HSC
Thanks all

i'll stick with the idea of 5000 words max and work my way from there...hopefully i'll be able to find something more concrete by the time the final draft comes around. thanks again for the help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)