Help!! (1 Viewer)

Rahul

Dead Member
hi i was wondering if i can have some help for these q's:

1.use known relationships to explain Van Allen radiation belt, include a diag.

2.what were the weaknesses of the M-M experiment? the expeimental conclusion was that there was no ether. was this conclusion valid for the information obtained? discuss the limitations.

any ideas...?

Thanks

Rahul

Dead Member
for the first one...
is it abt how a magnetic field can capture a charged particle moving across it, forcing it into a spiral along the field lines and how earth's magnetic field capture the charged particles in teh same way:confused:

Huy

HSC
N/A
yeah about the first dotpoint,

there was some stuff about that in the prelim cosmic engine module.

about the effects of solar winds on communications/radio
also more on the aurora borealis and australis, stream of charged particles and their effects.

that would tie in with motors and generators

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Rahul

1.use known relationships to explain Van Allen radiation belt, include a diag.
I have no idea what is meant by "known relationships" :confused: ??. I would just explain them the way you normally would, i.e. talking about electromagnetic interactions and giving explanations using the motors to generators module theory as Huy suggested.

2.what were the weaknesses of the M-M experiment? the expeimental conclusion was that there was no ether. was this conclusion valid for the information obtained? discuss the limitations.
The M-M experiment employed apparatus that was sensitive enough to detect the predicted aether - it found nothing when first performed or in subsequent repetitions at many different heights and locations. So the theory of the aether that had prevailed before was totally discredited because it failed to account for empirical evidence from M-M.

I can't remember the limitations of the experiment, I think it was a pretty good one really...apart from the question of where to conduct it :).

Rahul

Dead Member
yeh its the 'known relationships' thats confusing me

but thnx for the other q, i should be on track now;)

SoFTuaRiaL

i'm pretty sure the known relationship part comes from "motors n generators" where it speaks of the magnetic particles travelling in a spiralling path under some condition that i dont remember .... its the same rule being applied to the van allen belts??

Jinglebell

HSC
we did something about van allen belts in M&G recently...about the earth's magnetic field capturing the particles...and how the weaker magnetic field further from the earth captures the electrons, while the larger protons have enough momentum to penetrate closer before being captured...hence the two different belts

of course that may have little to no relevance, but i can regurgitate that info so yay me! maybe it's the whole magnetic field relationship thingy...(yes, now i'm just trying to justify my info to fit the question:) )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)