Help (1 Viewer)

Arithela

HSC
Explain how the Balmer Series provides strong experimental evidence in support of Bohr's model of the hydrogen atom. (3 marks)

All I can think of is that Balmer introduced his empirical formula without knowing how/why it works. Would anyone please help, thank you

Nicend

HSC
The balmer series is the visible light spectrum best seen through a spectroscope. It shows the emitted visible light spectrum from when an electron jumps from a higher orbital to a lower orbital (visible is a drop the the second orbital)

(Hm, that didn't help much)

Well, sorry I couldn't help you, for some reason I can't seem to find a reasonable answer.

I suspect it has something to do with electrons changing their orbitals and moving down to lower orbitals, releasing energy in the form of EMR, and I think that supports the idea of the differing orbitals of the Bohr model....but I'm not sure if that is the full answer.

I've got Physics tomorrow so I might ask my teacher...if I remember.

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
Well it explains the orbitals of an electron and how when an electron changes orbitals it either releases or absorbs EMR, and although it was an emperical formula at first, it was able to be proven independently using Bohrs postulates. (All electrons have an angular momentum that are integer multiples h/2pi
ie. mvr = nh/2pi)

Don't know if that helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)