Help with uni degree change (1 Viewer)

mmmm.

HSC
Hi guys, currently i'm doing bachelor of business at UTS and almost done with my first year. It has been pretty good, my marks/gpa/wam are high but I am stuck on whether or not to change courses. Personally, I'm not super interested/into one career like many are, i just want one that pays high and will have demand and am worried that with my business degree i will have a low paying job/limited options. Currently i am planning on becoming an accountant/investment banker as accounting has been my strongest performing subject.

If i were to change courses, i was thinking something like compsci, software engineering or civil engineering, however the issue for me is that i know nothing about computers so will changing to compsci/soft eng. be hard? and i dropped physics in yr11 as i hated it, so would this make civil eng. harder for me? Also i did enjoy maths during year 12 (2u maths) so maybe this may help when deciding on a course change

Are there any other careers/degree that i could possibly go into? I'm pretty much open to any field except med.

icycledough

HSC
Well, from what I can see, UTS should have a IPT (internal program transfer) like UNSW does. From what I've read, you want to delve into a career around accounting (thus, accountant/investment banker as you mentioned) but you want to do a more STEM course like engineering or comp sci. Unless specified, all students will be on a clean slate when starting a new degree, and so there won't be any subject prerequisites (once again, unless they mention this). So while it may give other students a slight advantage, it won't be more than this, as once you past the first few weeks of a course, all the content is brand new to everyone.

In terms of another degree, I'm not too sure on what you're interested in, apart from engineering or comp sci. If that is the case, it seems like you want a STEM oriented degree, so some other options could be actuarial, a maths degree, a major in chemistry/physics/bio, etc.

uniqueusername1

HSC
Hi guys, currently i'm doing bachelor of business at UTS and almost done with my first year. It has been pretty good, my marks/gpa/wam are high but I am stuck on whether or not to change courses. Personally, I'm not super interested/into one career like many are, i just want one that pays high and will have demand and am worried that with my business degree i will have a low paying job/limited options. Currently i am planning on becoming an accountant/investment banker as accounting has been my strongest performing subject.

If i were to change courses, i was thinking something like compsci, software engineering or civil engineering, however the issue for me is that i know nothing about computers so will changing to compsci/soft eng. be hard? and i dropped physics in yr11 as i hated it, so would this make civil eng. harder for me? Also i did enjoy maths during year 12 (2u maths) so maybe this may help when deciding on a course change

Are there any other careers/degree that i could possibly go into? I'm pretty much open to any field except med.
Send it bro. You are young enough to make the change now. Don't worry about the difficulty. Give software engineering a go if your interested in it (theres no prerequisites besides ext 1 math). If it doesn't work out you can go back to business or do accounting. Theres nothing wrong with trying.

icycledough

HSC
I guess that's also where the greater degree of flexibility in university can be a big advantage to you, as it allows for some level of experimentation when deciding what is and what isn't for you.

uniqueusername1

HSC
I guess that's also where the greater degree of flexibility in university can be a big advantage to you, as it allows for some level of experimentation when deciding what is and what isn't for you.
whats a flexible degree? Commerce?

mmmm.

HSC
Send it bro. You are young enough to make the change now. Don't worry about the difficulty. Give software engineering a go if your interested in it (theres no prerequisites besides ext 1 math). If it doesn't work out you can go back to business or do accounting. Theres nothing wrong with trying.
If I were to change and didn't like the new course, when I go back to business, would I have to start again (year 1) or can I continue from where I left of (so starting from year 2)

uniqueusername1

HSC
If I were to change and didn't like the new course, when I go back to business, would I have to start again (year 1) or can I continue from where I left of (so starting from year 2)
I'm not too sure but, perhaps restart?

But by the time you do that you'll probs have a clear understanding of what you want to do.

So like you could just do a 2 year applied finance course at Macquarie or 2 year accounting course.

icycledough

HSC
whats a flexible degree? Commerce?
I guess what I meant by the flexibility is that in university, you have the freedom to swap and pick up new courses if you don't feel like it isn't working. But in high school, you don't get this same thing. I would say a business related degree is very flexible, just because there's lot of degrees within which have some sort of interconnectedness.

uniqueusername1

HSC
I guess what I meant by the flexibility is that in university, you have the freedom to swap and pick up new courses if you don't feel like it isn't working. But in high school, you don't get this same thing. I would say a business related degree is very flexible, just because there's lot of degrees within which have some sort of interconnectedness.
oh ok alright.

uniqueusername1

HSC
Personally, I'm not super interested/into one career like many are, i just want one that pays high and will have demand and am worried that with my business degree i will have a low paying job/limited options. Currently i am planning on becoming an accountant/investment banker as accounting has been my strongest performing subject.
Keep in mind accountants don't earn that much (thats what i've heard)

But judging by your preferences you may want to look at computer science/software engineering.

mmmm.

HSC
Keep in mind accountants don't earn that much (thats what i've heard)

But judging by your preferences you may want to look at computer science/software engineering.
I've looked at jobs for accountants and the pay for grads isn't the best which is obvious, but I would say they earn quite a lot as you gain more experience. This is what I got off indeed for searching accountants around my region. But I will definitely do more research on comp sci and software engineering so I know what to do

Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 2.48.29 pm.png

uniqueusername1

HSC
I've looked at jobs for accountants and the pay for grads isn't the best which is obvious, but I would say they earn quite a lot as you gain more experience. This is what I got off indeed for searching accountants around my region. But I will definitely do more research on comp sci and software engineering so I know what to do

View attachment 33407
idk that seems inaccurate ngl.

I've heard many of my relatives who are depressed as accountants. They say to learn coding if you want money.

They said the only way to get six figures is by working at the big 4 (and thats after being over-worked for a couple of years).

Last edited:

uniqueusername1

HSC

View attachment 33407
This seems more accurate:

icycledough

HSC
It's also important to remember that as a hypothetical example, if you were studying med in uni, don't go about expecting a 6 figure salary straight out of uni. That may seem obvious, but regardless of which field of work you choose to specialize, it's a bit waiting game before you can start to expect a decent salary, because it's a big hierarchy at the end of the day. Even with starting your own business, in the first few years, there will be many ups and downs, most of time, you will end up at a loss. But it's the experience and time which over the long run, will reap you the most benefits.

uniqueusername1

HSC
In conclusion, I reckon you should try computer science/data science/software engineering considering you want money

If it doesn't work out you can always do that 2 year degree to be an accountant or work in finance.

Considering you want money I would go finance -> get into IB or something. But keep in mind IB is not an easy ticket to 150k. The conditions are brutal. The work hours are brutal and the stress is brutal.

And also accountants (average) earn between 65k to 80k. The skilled migration thing has depressed wages as people from overseas are willing to work more for less.

Good luck,

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)