Help on Louis Padteur PLZZZZ (1 Viewer)

kiara-tipsy

HSC
i have recieved this question for my assessment task in bio...
i have no idea whatsoever!

please help me!!

describe the major experiments of Louis Pasteur, including the reasons they were performed, the procedures involved, the results obtained and the conclusions reached; explain how performing such experiments illustrate the nature and practice of science; and assess Pasteur's contribution to our understanding of infectious diseases.

Need help urgently PLZZZ HELP!!!
due friday 30th may 08:(

HSC
some notes:

Pasteur discovered that most infectious diseases are caused by microorganisms (germs), destroying theory of spontaneous generation. Found that microorganisms come from existing microorganisms.

2 famous experiments. 1. Pasteur’s flasks proved microbial spores exist in air. 2. Vaccination for anthrax in cattle.

FLASK EXPERIMENT: Showed that microbes were causing wine to spoil, but microbes could be killed by heating at 55 degrees Celsius for several minutes. Technique now known as pasteurisation. Suggested that microbial spores in air developed into active microorganisms when nutrients available. Tested using flask to trap dust and spores but allow in air, and another exposed to the air. After boiling to kill microorganisms, demonstrated that one with flask did not get contaminated, other did.

that was one of his famous experiments, the other involved vaccinating cattle for anthrax... type it into google or check hsc online for more info. if it's the question you're having trouble understanding, post back and i can explain what you need to do.

boris

Banned
HSC
From HSC @ CSU

Pasteur's experiment

* When Pasteur did his experiment, the broth in the swan-necked flask remained clear for several weeks, while that in the open flask quickly became cloudy and smelly.
* Both flasks were open to the air. In the swan-necked flask, air could move freely through the neck of the flask just as it did in the straight-necked flask, but the much heavier micro-organisms, in the air, were trapped in the bottom part of the S-curve.
* This experiment showed that for the broth to grow micro-organisms and start to decay, there had to be access to air containing the spores of micro-organisms.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)